No announcement yet.

Funny... only now that we are discharged, I have to pay mortgage over the phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny... only now that we are discharged, I have to pay mortgage over the phone

Yeah funny thing.
    I've always paid the mortgage online, all through the bankruptcy. Now that we are discharged, looks like I can't. Dumb. I'll have to talk to them I guess. Still dumb.

Zombie13 it is dumb. However, the creditor does not want to be accused of attempting to collect a discharged (or dischargeable) debt. The penalties can be severe. My favorite case will always be the $80,000 that was paid to a debtor because Verizon just wouldn't stop sending a bill for a dischargeable (not even yet discharged!) debt.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks justbroke . Looks like this may have been very short term/temporary.
      I logged in this AM and verified I could make payments online again. Perhaps they 'dropped the ball' 5 years ago on this account, and needed to move the account through the various bankruptcy states on their end, in order to move the account out of bankruptcy; and one of the steps involved removing the ability to make payments online. Looks like it may be resolved but I will call anyway since I have other questions.

Still though, I do not understand why the method of payment matters for homeowners in a chapter 13 bankruptcy: over the phone only, versus phone and/or online payment. Not that it really matters in our case (pun intended) anymore. But still, I would like to understand.

Thanks again!

Comment

This happened to me, i always drove to the bank and made the payment to the drive up window. Then after 2 years i all of a sudden had to send a check to the main branch. Called and they said i should have never been able to pay threw the drive thru.

Comment

Clay3007 wins the Gold!!! Wow yeah that's lame too. I guess each bank has their own 'bankruptcy process' for mortgage payments. I am actually surprised they allowed you to continue to use plain checks, versus something like a cashier's check.
          Little update: when I logged on today to again review the mortgage payment, all 'extra fees' are gone. So it appears the only amount due is now, finally, the plain ol' payment.

Comment

Initially I had to go in person or call to pay it. Then the HEL appeared online I asked and was told I could not pay it online due to BK, but I knew I could and I did. Then a few months later the mortgage appeared online to pay and I didn't ask questions I just made my payments online. I know they can't collect debts, but it was hard to pay the car as well. Then I did get online access for one of the cars with a disclaimer every time I logged on that it was voluntary and they could deny online payments at any time in the future. Seriously, just give us easier access to pay!!
            I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

LOL that's funny Carmella ! Sounds like it worked out in your favor.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X