Just informed they are filing Certification of Completion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just informed they are filing Certification of Completion

I just received an email from my attorney informing me that the trustee is filing a Certification of Completion. According to my records I still have 26 payments left. When I questioned the attorney, she said, remember I told you that you pre-paid the bankruptcy. (Honestly I don't remember, but I'm sure she said it). I have no idea what this means. Does it mean I won't be making any more payments? The only thing I could think of is some of my creditors did not file a claim so they put the money toward other creditors. I thought the Certification of Completion was filed when the bankruptcy was completed. Has anyone else had the same experience or know what they're talking about? Thank you!!

sheila , welcome to BKForum!

Your attorney is going to need to explain to you what "pre-paid" the bankruptcy means. Perhaps they are speaking of the attorney fees. As to why you have 26 more payments (assuming 26 more months), I can't tell you that either. Only your attorney could explain that to you. You are correct to guess that maybe some creditor or creditors did not file a claim. Even with that, your attorney should be able to explain that you completed your plan.

sheila have you looked at the National Data Center (ndc.org) to see your case there? The NDC is used to monitor Chapter 13 cases and the status of the claims. There's even a section showing which creditors they paid and when they were paid (down to the check number used to pay them monthly). That may help you somewhat.

Other than that, I don't know what your attorney is talking about with regards to tehri answer to your question about 26 months remaining. However, the filing of a Certificate of Plan Completion means that you are done! So here's an early congratulations on the inevitable entry of your discharge order!

(Go look at ndc.org and see what it says about your case.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and hopefully good news. I filed three years ago on a five year plan, so the 26 payments were from my estimation, not my attorney. Fingers crossed this means I'm done. I have checked the NDC cite, but not recently. I will do that now. I appreciate the information and thank you for response.

Comment

I tried uploading a screenshot of the status on the NDC cite, but I wasn't authorized to do so. The status shows COMPLETED. I'm assuming I'm done, but I'm still confused as to how 2 years of payments have possibly disappeared, but hey, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Comment

Congratulations..what a wonderful and unexpected surprise!! Just so you know..ask your attorney why your case closed sooner than expected. I bet itโ€™s because not all creditors filed. Whatever the reason take a deep breath and CELEBRATE ๐ŸŽ‰
          Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
          Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by sheila View Post
            I tried uploading a screenshot of the status on the NDC cite, but I wasn't authorized to do so. The status shows COMPLETED. I'm assuming I'm done, but I'm still confused as to how 2 years of payments have possibly disappeared, but hey, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
            Maybe you were actually in a 3 year plan or one or more significant claims were never filed. In any event this is great news.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by sophieanne View Post
              Congratulations..what a wonderful and unexpected surprise!! Just so you know..ask your attorney why your case closed sooner than expected. I bet itโ€™s because not all creditors filed. Whatever the reason take a deep breath and CELEBRATE ๐ŸŽ‰
              thank you so much......I appreciate the good thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                Maybe you were actually in a 3 year plan or one or more significant claims were never filed. In any event this is great news.
                I could swear it was 5, but hey, I'll take it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by sheila View Post

I could swear it was 5, but hey, I'll take it :-)
                  Here's a good way to figure this out!

Since you have access to the NDC (National Data Center) already, log on to the NDC. On the left, under Case Information, click on Plan Step Information. Under the column "# Payments" add them all up if the "Payment Frequency" is "MONTHLY". This will total the number of payments expected for your plan. (This isn't the # of payments necessarily made, but is the number of payments based on your Chapter 13 Plan.)

If the number totals 36, then you were in a 36-month plan. If it totals 60, then you were in a 60-month plan. If it's a number less than 60 then you were likely only required to be in a 36-month plan, but the attorney was able to stretch out a few things so that you didn't have a heavy burden in a 36-month plan.

Comment

So, to update all who gave me advice...apparently I paid it off 2 years early. NDC website shows status completed. I'm surprised, and happy to be able to put more money away now. Thank you all for your advice and help. I do appreciate it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X