top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone consider driving for Uber, Amazon Flex, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone consider driving for Uber, Amazon Flex, etc.

This seems to be a way to quickly earn an income, with the worker only knowing how to drive a car.

Driving for these services is a terrible deal for the so-called "independent contractor" driver, hence why these companies are always trying to recruit new suckers--er, I mean associates. First of all, the rates paid by these companies often results in earnings which are close to or less than minimum wage on an hourly basis, excluding the wear and tear to your vehicle. Second, as a 1099 "independent contractor", you will pay a much higher effective tax rate on any level of income than you would as a W2 employee. Often 2 to 3 times as much. Third, these companies do not adequately compensate you for the wear and tear to your vehicle--and they require that you drive a newer car which meets their standards. Fourth, beware that personal car insurance generally won't cover any accident or other loss which occurs while you are using the vehicle for any commercial purpose, including food delivery, ride-sharing services, etc.

The bottom line is that these "gig economy" services provide little value, and drain away that which the "independent contractor" associates produce. The company receives the bulk of the profits, in exchange for providing an app, and shifts all of the risk onto the "independent contractor" drivers. The people who actually provide the service are paid peanuts which don't even adequately compensate their cost of providing the service--hence why so many people quit these services when they realize that they're losing money, not making money.

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
      Driving for these services is a terrible deal for the so-called "independent contractor" driver, hence why these companies are always trying to recruit new suckers--er, I mean associates. First of all, the rates paid by these companies often results in earnings which are close to or less than minimum wage on an hourly basis, excluding the wear and tear to your vehicle. Second, as a 1099 "independent contractor", you will pay a much higher effective tax rate on any level of income than you would as a W2 employee. Often 2 to 3 times as much. Third, these companies do not adequately compensate you for the wear and tear to your vehicle--and they require that you drive a newer car which meets their standards. Fourth, beware that personal car insurance generally won't cover any accident or other loss which occurs while you are using the vehicle for any commercial purpose, including food delivery, ride-sharing services, etc.

The bottom line is that these "gig economy" services provide little value, and drain away that which the "independent contractor" associates produce. The company receives the bulk of the profits, in exchange for providing an app, and shifts all of the risk onto the "independent contractor" drivers. The people who actually provide the service are paid peanuts which don't even adequately compensate their cost of providing the service--hence why so many people quit these services when they realize that they're losing money, not making money.
      So you're saying that these companies are basically fooling their associates in how much money they are making? That sounds unethical.

Comment

I think it depends on location and timing. One of the drivers we had took it on as a second job when his baby was born and works the big events (before Covid) when there are a lot people wanting to Uber and the rates are higher. There's a bit of a night life and that also is a hot spot for Uber. Last week I picked up my daughter and friend from a local Festival there were people waiting for Uber. I think it can pay off if you find a profitable area. I know someone who lives in Vegas and that's a hotspot and Uber supplements the pension. I know someone who picked up work with Doordash and left her day job, this won't help with health care benefits, but if you don't need them and you can work the busy times around the time when people order food and are in the right location it can work.

I think it would be hard full time, but if you are in a good location, it might be worth a try. First check and see how it will effect your BK if it's 13 and might bump your income up too much (if you are paying back less than 100%)
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Well, I know a local toke head here that drives for Lyft at his convenience (i.e. a few hours at night ,maybe three days a week), while his usually cheerful and friendly Colorado-native wife slaves away in a salon 10 hours a day , three days a week , often in great pain with bone on bone lower back/hip degeneration which will one day require surgery.
          Supposedly this slacker is a top-drawer mechanic who once worked at the Denver airport, but decided that Lyft better suited his laid-back mountain high pot lifestyle. (I have seen this guy half a dozen times and I have never seen him "sober". I find him quite annoying. LOL)
          She never filed BK as far as I know but because she have rich in-laws who let them travel to a Maui condo for free (less airfare, spending money and food) , they live pretty lavishly with weekly live concerts, trips to "their" mountain house (in which they own a third of the stake), lots of restaurants expenditures, etc.
          I saw her the other day and she was suffering a great deal. I felt for her and said, "You've got to work less and get off your feet. Take care of your self!"
          Her answer : "I've got a mortgage to pay for!"
          (As if we don't haha!) I don't think she took too kindly to my advice because we knows roughly what my husband makes (but she doesn't know about our ongoing BK13) and I think she resents that I don't currently work, as she made a comment about how "she is independent and doesn't reply on any man", yet with out his family, she couldn't have traveled to Maui nor would she have access to the mountain home, so I guess he's good for something LOL!
          They are also talking about how they both need new cars!
          So Lyft doesn't sound that great to me.
          Last edited by Barbisi; 09-19-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Barbisi
            Barbisi commented
            Editing a comment
            Not Reply -rely on any man- big typo LOL!

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X