Strategy for Two Car Replacement Post-BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy for Two Car Replacement Post-BK

We need to replace both of our Sentras , 2005 & 2013, almost simultaneously. They puttered through our 13 but only after we spent an average of 3-4K per year and now that we are done with the trustee and court, we want reliable, much newer cars.
    We do not think two car payments at once is good financial judgement as that could negatively affect our cash flow with the much higher interest we would have to pay as newly discharged BK debtors. So our current plan is to buy a pre-certified used (2018 or newer) SUV outright for my husband who has a long daily commute to his job site and can not afford frequent highway breakdowns and finance a smaller cheaper sedan for me, since I drive far less and just need a decent, safe newer auto. That way we only have one car payment to deal with.
    We feel we have been burned by Nissan (particularly the 2013 model) and are looking for a different company.
    We are interested in the Suburu brand, esp. the Outback, but we are open to possibly going with another car maker.
    What advice or experiences can you car gurus, like flashoflight, shipo​​​​​​​ and justbroke share ?

I'm not a car person. I like where they bring me, and I like luxury, but I am no car person. Still driving the 2012 Ford and have a 2003 Mountaineer!

I have only just did a full brake job on the 2012 Ford. The Mountaineer is just getting its first brake job as well at 90,000 miles. (The Ford is at 68,000 miles.) Replaced tires on Ford twice. Doing the 4th set on the Mountaineer during the "major" brake job.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well..., I've been a car guy for over 50 years now; I've followed the industry closely, I've wrenched on them, and I've worked as an engineer for their manufacturers. With that said, my next comment is decidedly personal bias; not at all a fan of Subarus, period, full stop, the end.

In your shoes I'd be looking at something like a RAV4 or CX-5 for the SUV, and maybe a Corolla or Mazda3 for the small run-about; new or used, all four of those cars will run years and years with only normal maintenance.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan Barbisi We will be getting my husband an around town car soon, he will drive probably less than 60 miles a week, but I would like the car to last a long time. I won't get another car for a few years because while my Nissan Sentra 2019 is fine it's not something I would really choose. It does the job and I am thankful I got it after the accident/during BK because it's a necessity and supposedly will have a good trade in value if I do it within 2 years. Not sure what I would get, but it would be a larger car vs my husband getting a smaller car. He's not a car guy in the sense of knowing anything mechanical or into the status of having a particular brand/model (and neither am I).
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Thanks , justbroke, shipo and Carmella !
          I get it, jb-I'm not much of a car person either! I don't care for luxury items like leather seats (too sticky, LOL!) but comfortable cloth seats and an old-school CD player with working speakers (the 2005 Sentra's are currently dead) are what I want and need.
          Shipo , I'm not sure about Toyota or Mazda models, but I do like Japanese cars in general and I think we might want to broaden our search in order to avoid another lemon. (I noticed you didn't mention Nissan at all, LOL!)
          Carmella, so glad you're almost at the end and can plan on buying a second vehicle soon!
          My advise is to ditch the Senta before you start having major issues with it like the 2013 my husband currently drives. Hopefully it will run for a couple more years but you never know....

Comment

Originally posted by Barbisi View Post
            Shipo , I'm not sure about Toyota or Mazda models, but I do like Japanese cars in general and I think we might want to broaden our search in order to avoid another lemon. (I noticed you didn't mention Nissan at all, LOL!)
            Yeah, I've never been a fan of Renault; the only "Nissan" I've ever really wanted, still want for that matter, is an old school "Datsun" 240Z.

As for the cars I suggested, you might want to take all four out for a spin, I think you'll be very impressed.
            Latent car nut.

Comment

Barbisi now I need to draw the line! No CD player. I need Apple CarPlay!!
              I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Barbisi Hi - how r u? Just sharing I’m a Toyota fan and have been for years. Got through our Bk with a 2003 Sequoia. Never had a problem and only had to do oil changes. Traded it in last year, it had 101,000 miles for a 2021 4Runner, which we love. Our 4th Toyota.. in my opinion, great vehicles.. Good luck with your decision making.
                Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X