top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon can I buy another house during a Chapter 13 (three months in)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How soon can I buy another house during a Chapter 13 (three months in)?

Hello all.

I filed several months ago, and I am thinking of buying another home when the down payment gets all set up (I will be getting money from a sale of a house a few months before I filed). My attorney and trustee know about the money, but I will net enough to put down about 15% for another house.

So, my question is, how long will it take for me to qualify to buy a house?

Do I need permission to buy another property while in a Chapter 13?

Or

Is it best to just wait until I get a discharge in another 33 months from now?

Just exploring options.

I don't need the house, but I would like to set up investments for retirement. I have another 7-14 years before I actually retire in my late 50s/early 60s.

Thank you.

It's at least one year in with 12 months of solid payment performance to the Trustee. It will also require Trustee and court approval. There are a couple of companies that do the Chapter 13 mortgages, but your scores will need to be good (620+ middle form the FICO 5/4/2 varieties), and you need to find that company willing to do the mortgage. You could get an FHA loan, but Conventional/Jumbo will likely be out of reach.

While it can be done, I've only read about one of them here on BKForum.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I figured it would be a royal pain in the BLANK.

Probably best to just wait until I get a discharge and my credit goes back to 750.

Seems like this would just open up a can of worms as well, and that is definitely not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by chargers777 View Post
        Thanks for the feedback.

I figured it would be a royal pain in the BLANK.

Probably best to just wait until I get a discharge and my credit goes back to 750.

Seems like this would just open up a can of worms as well, and that is definitely not worth it.
        Rule of thumb for 99% of all Chapter 13 participants: lie low, don't rock the boat; the less the Trustee has reason to focus on you and your case the better it is for you.
        Latent car nut.

Comment

Absolutely shipo.

Thank you for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by chargers777 View Post
            Hello all.

I filed several months ago, and I am thinking of buying another home when the down payment gets all set up (I will be getting money from a sale of a house a few months before I filed). My attorney and trustee know about the money, but I will net enough to put down about 15% for another house.

So, my question is, how long will it take for me to qualify to buy a house?

Do I need permission to buy another property while in a Chapter 13?

Or

Is it best to just wait until I get a discharge in another 33 months from now?

Just exploring options.

I don't need the house, but I would like to set up investments for retirement. I have another 7-14 years before I actually retire in my late 50s/early 60s.

Thank you.
            I refinanced a mortgage, but the process is similar. You need 12 months of ontime post-petition payments to the trustee and all post-petition creditors. The trustee will not approve a mortgage/house purchase much bigger than the current housing payment unless you are in a 100% case. Monthly mortgage payments are a lot higher than 2021 and prices haven't dropped nowhere near enough to compensate for that. With a below median case and you're already boxed in with a low housing payment, I don't see how you can qualify for any home purchase unless it's super cheap.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X