Roof Recently Replaced At No Cost To Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof Recently Replaced At No Cost To Us

In midst of all our summer travails and trials (multiple car breakdowns and repairs, trustee motion to increase payment to creditors ( objection ongoing as I write this) , and planning for a necessary upcoming surgery), one bright spot emerged : the roof that we feared was in serious disrepair , indeed was, and much to our relief, was replaced by the insurance company with out us even having to come up with the deductible. (The roofing company got us a deal whereby not only did we not have to pay the 1K deductible but they worked along side the insurance company to waive the mandatory $500 solar panel removal fee per our contract with Tesla.)
    I think being honest about our dire predicament (i.e. a BK13 lasting at least until 2022) helped immensely as the roofers understood unless we got a " financial break", we would not be able to get the roof fixed.( In Colorado the life expectancy of a roof is five years or less due to brutal Summer hail damage, and this roof was last replaced in 2013, when the solar panels were added.)
    Tesla refused to remove the panels in a timely fashion, so the insurance company decided to pay an outside contractor $$$$ to get the job done quickly. Once the roof was replaced (in one day), they returned and put the panels back on.
    During the week or so we had no solar panel use, we didn't experience any disruption of electric power. This means if we weren't struck in this contract until we sell the house or 2033 (which ever comes first !), we would probably be paying about the same.The sellers knew they hadn't got a very good deal with the 20 year lease , so they got out after 3 years and pawned it off on us. I hope we will be allowed to do the same to the next buyers in 2022!
    Last edited by Barbisi; 09-02-2020, 09:45 AM.

Hi...I’m glad you had this good thing. Hopefully more will come your way. Good luck with the trustee regarding your payments. I know you are prepared to show the facts and I’m sending positive thoughts your way.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Thank you sophieanne!
      Yes, the roof was a huge worry , just one of so many. We reasoned we might have to wait until 2022 to address it and we knew that the house would never sell with out replacing the roof.
      We now have a 45 year old house which will soon need massive repairs and updates. Our only hope of avoiding a second BK13 "investor home" fiasco is to fix as little as possible and sell as quickly as we are allowed by the court in 2022. Trying to refi and staying here to slowly fix all the systems (furnance, water heater, sprinkler system, swamp cooler,etc.) bathrooms, kitchen, plus plumbing issues,etc. will cost 30k or more. It is better to sell for what we can get in this severely overpriced and bloated market ,even if we have to sell for less than we could have gotten if we could have fixed everything up perfectly!
      2022 can't come soon enough for me!

Comment

I am glad the insurance company paid for the roof!!!!
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Thank you Carmella!
          I know you had some damage from a fallen tree-I hope you were able to get that repaired too!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X