No announcement yet.

Common Pro Se Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan paid back 0% and was a complex Chapter 13 with a conversion (after 20 months) to Chapter 7. It was borderline Chapter 11 as well. Complex, yes. Do I recommend that anyone attempt my type of complexity pro se... absolutely not.

I discovered that a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy could save my investment properties, literally 1 week before the foreclosure. I had never considered or even really KNEW about it. I contacted about 3 attorneys and they were all "busy" and couldn't file within the next few days. They (the "screeners") didn't even tell me about an emergency petition! Then I found this site in the middle of preparing my emergency Chapter 13 petition.

And the rest is history.
    Last edited by justbroke; 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention there were also no bankruptcy attorneys within 50 miles of where I was living at the time I filed.

And hi jb~ How you?

Comment

I had tax debt but didn't fully understand the laws on it. I was under the mistaken impression that it could NEVER be discharged. Had I waited a year or two more I could have discharged an additional $15,000 in tax debt. The other mistake was feeling that I had to file bankruptcy right away or I was going to get sued. In actuality it was doubtful that anyone would have ever sued me since I had no assets and a rather meager paycheck.
        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Meeting of Creditors

Just went through the 341 meeting yesterday. I learned that I didn't need an attorney, even though I hadn't provided them with a "registered copy" of my mortgage. I took care of it easily.

Comment

Damn, BestCase is only available for PC (not MAC). It looks like great software.

Comment

hahahahahaha i can only imagine myself when it's my turn,

Comment

Referring to the judge as "His Awesomeness"... guaranteed to get you the eyebrow.

(No, it wasn't me that said it lol.)

Comment

I always address my judge with Judge and their last name, and always say "good morning" or "good afternoon". They seem to always smile since I took a moment to actually say something other than... "your honor, Jack Shapiro for the plaintiff". Must be nice to hear, "justbroke, appearing Pro Se, and good morning Judge Doe, nice to see you again."

(I guess "nice to see you again" would be bad in criminal court!)
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    I always address my judge with Judge and their last name, and always say "good morning" or "good afternoon". They seem to always smile since I took a moment to actually say something other than... "your honor, Jack Shapiro for the plaintiff". Must be nice to hear, "justbroke, appearing Pro Se, and good morning Judge Doe, nice to see you again."

(I guess "nice to see you again" would be bad in criminal court!)
                    Yes, I do that, too. I really do like my judge, too. He's very much about logic, expediency and "common sense".

Comment

Hi all. I am new here and this is the first thread I chose to read and I must say I for one, greatly appreciate this one as my husband and I are now researching the idea of Chapter 7 and doing it ourselves as quite frankly we are in the rather low income bracket. This is a great thread and very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannalei View Post
                        Hi all. I am new here and this is the first thread I chose to read and I must say I for one, greatly appreciate this one as my husband and I are now researching the idea of Chapter 7 and doing it ourselves as quite frankly we are in the rather low income bracket. This is a great thread and very helpful.
                        Welcome to the forum Hannalei. You're amongst friends here.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X