Post Discharge Repo Liability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Discharge Repo Liability

I thought I'd post this because it was something I was concerned about. I initially indicatd that I was going to keep my car (2008 Nissan Maxima), but then never paid on it. Eventually Nissan filed a motion to get out from under the stay. They were kind enough to give me another four months with the car. All along I was worried that Nissan would come after me for the payments I didn't make post-filing, wear and tear and repossession costs.

They got the car last week. Yesterday I got a letter from Nissan telling me how much I owe if I want to redeem the car and all of the costs and fees I am liable for. I was getting a little nervous until I flipped over to the back and saw a paragraph, in ALL CAPS, stating (going from memory here)...

BANKRUPTCY NOTICE: IF YOU FILED BANKRUPTCY AND INDICATED THAT YOU WERE RETAINING THE VEHICLE THE LIABILITY PROVISIONS ABOVE DO NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS LETTER IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT FROM YOU. NISSAN MOTOR CORP WILL PURSUE NO MATTER EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED IN THE BANKRUPTCY MATTER.

It made it pretty clear that I had nothing to worry about.

Correct, so long as you DID NOT Reaffirm the debt in your BK, you would not be liable for deficiency, fees, and costs associated with the repo.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X