Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Cards

I am due to be filing bankruptcy by months end. I was told by my lawyer to stop paying credit cards. However, I recently read that although credit cards will be discharged with bankruptcy, my report will reflect how many days late I was prior to filing? Does anyone know the accuracy of this, because a few will be like 5 months behind after it is all said and done.

I am actually going through that right now while checking credit reoirts. The cards are ishowing as ncluded in bankruptcy but do show the number of times they were not paid priior to filing. Those notations will wipe out when the card does 7 years after filing. I was surpirses, but that's the way it can be.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I personally kept paying my credit cards until my bk. Your score will only go lower not paying your monthly payments on top of having your bk. I believe your bk stays on your record 7-10 years now. So the question is, do you want to start building your credit after you're discharged? If the answer is yes, then I wouldn't miss more payments. Hope that helps.

Comment

I agree with what hadeeh wrote. I, like many others in this room followed the advise of my attorney and stopped paying prior to filing so yes my score took a double hit. Since I don't intend to have credit cards again, it's not an issue to have to wait. And yes, bk stays on your record for 7 years if you're in a 13 and 10 years for a chapter 7 (from the date of filing). Regardless, both the late payments and the bk will come off at the same time.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X