Future VA compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future VA compensation

Hello, I am in the process of filing chap 13 and have a question concerning possible future VA benefits. I have filed for an increase in my VA disability but am quite positive I will have no result before trustee meeting. If approved, the increase in my benefit will be substantial plus there will be a substantial backpay lump sum amount. What will happen here? Do I need to inform the trustee of this "maybe"? Thanks Bigbob

VA Disability, as Social Security, I believe is exempt. However, do inform your attorney of this and all that is involved. Best of luck to you!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Flamingo believes correct. All the benefits are exempt in BK
      Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

VA comp

All my income is derived from SS and VA. If my income is exempt why file chapter 13? Should I file 7 and just be done with the debts? That seems rather preposterous they would let me do that. My income is $3600 per month. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jimann70 View Post
          All my income is derived from SS and VA. If my income is exempt why file chapter 13? Should I file 7 and just be done with the debts? That seems rather preposterous they would let me do that. My income is $3600 per month. Thanks
          My opinion: If you are in trouble enough for 13, that will ding your credit anyway, why not try 7? Have a new start and don't do it again....LOL 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

All my income is derived from SS and VA. If my income is exempt why file chapter 13?
            So why are you filing Ch 13? Are you hoping to keep secured assets like a house or car that you currently are behind payments for and can't get caught up before filing? That's one reason you may have to file Ch 13 to keep them.

Also you must show a minimum of $100/month disposable income on the Means Test plus Schedules and be able to pay your non-secured creditors what they would receive in a Ch 7. Have you met with at least one lawyer? Did a bk lawyer run a Means Test? Did a bk lawyer recommend filing Ch 13?
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Jimann - you mentiond in your first posting that you were in the process of filing a Chapter 13. So one would assume you have seen an attorney and maybe had income coming in from some other source (we can only go by what is posted on here or guess...). If you had seen an attorney and only had VA disability coming in and/or SS, you should have been correctly advised by the attorney. Hope you get this straightened out and all works out for you - best of luck to you!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Actually, if you are not in trouble with the IRS, and if you are well under your Homestead Exemption, why file at all, you are basically untouchable.
                Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X