Employment Background, Criminal & Credit Checks-What's in them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Background, Criminal & Credit Checks-What's in them

I was recently offered a position with a large, national financial corporation, and requested a copy of their background, criminal and credit investigation on me for employment purposes. Here's what is contained in the report. The report was prepared by a very large national data services provider, LexisNexis.

1. Social Security Number Validation, including validity, issuance state and date, any deceased reporting or other irregularity associated with the social security umber.

2. Names and addresses: All names, alias, mispellings, etc AND all known current and prior addresses and dates verified.

3.Employment Verification: 5 year history, former employers actually contacted for verification of position titles, dates employed, and reasons for leaving. Also checked employer addresses and phone numbers provided by me in application.

4. Criminal: Multiple searches for name plus aliases and mispellings at the county, superior and municipal court level at my residence county AND adjacent counties. This search is for County Seat Felony and Misdemeanors. Also searched for Federal Felony and Misdemeanor at US District Court levels in multiple adjacent district court locations.

5. Global Sanction Search: Search for any sanctions or complaints on my records, such as those that would be made through regulatory bodies like FINRA, etc.

6. Credit Report-Employment:
    a-Personal Identification Information
    b-Summary of File: Bankruptcies, Public Records, Collection Items, High Credit Range, Total Trade Lines, Credit file first creation date, credit oldest opening date, latest reporting date.
    -As you can see above, these are only date, dollar amount and yes/no answers, e.g. Bankruptcies: Yes, Public Records: No, Collection Items: No, etc.-
    c-Public Records/Legal Items: Lists all items, e.g. Bankruptcy, and basic information such as petition type, date, court, etc. Nothing too in depth.
    d-Account Status: Lists all accounts in your credit reports, their status (if last paid on time or late, charge off, collection, etc. prior to filing BK-So whatever the last status on the account was the day you filed, plus IIB as most of my accounts are reporting already), credit limit, amount owed, account type, last activity date, etc. DOES NOT INCLUDE OR LIST 24 MONTH PAYMENT HISTORY.
    e-Inquiry History: Hard credit checks, such as when you apply for credit...I have a couple I did not know about that I never authorized, such as from CBA and First USA.

That's all there is folks. No credit score, no 24 month history. It does show, however, what your status with the accounts was on the date filed.

Now this may differ for some of you as my check was pulled while I am still going through an active bankruptcy, no discharge yet, so the way my account status is showing may change after the discharge, I'm not sure.

Please keep in mind that my new employer told me that the filing of bk itself was only one event and they placed more weight on prior behavior (account status on date of filing, no judgements, etc) and overall debt burden levels.

Good luck to all.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
    3.Employment Verification: 5 year history, former employers actually contacted for verification of position titles, dates employed, and reasons for leaving. Also checked employer addresses and phone numbers provided by me in application.
    I've always wondered about this. Did they actually list for you all that information in the report? Especially the "reasons for leaving" part. Supposedly most don't give that specific info, just position title and dates employed. AFAIK, they dont give out salary info or reasons for leaving (or if laid off or fired).
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
      I've always wondered about this. Did they actually list for you all that information in the report? Especially the "reasons for leaving" part. Supposedly most don't give that specific info, just position title and dates employed. AFAIK, they dont give out salary info or reasons for leaving (or if laid off or fired).
      Basically what they show is what they can verify against what you indicated. Most employment applications ask you the "reason for leaving". They will enter that, then attempt to verify. What they put in my case was that my previous employers' verification service was a third party automated service that confirmed only position title and employment dates. I suppose if your employer was something like a small business they would get more information out of them.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Joe, thanks so much for posting this info. So if they just say they are doing a background check, but not a credit check then the bk won't even show up? I didn't know since it was public record if it would just show up on a regular background check.

I plan on being honest with future employers as I get close to the offer stage, but if they are only doing a background check then I may not even need to have that uncomfortable conversation! :^)
        Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
        341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
        Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by kartoons19 View Post
          Joe, thanks so much for posting this info. So if they just say they are doing a background check, but not a credit check then the bk won't even show up? I didn't know since it was public record if it would just show up on a regular background check.

I plan on being honest with future employers as I get close to the offer stage, but if they are only doing a background check then I may not even need to have that uncomfortable conversation! :^)
          That's why posted the specific courts that were searched, at least in my case. The bk does not come up in county or district; bk circuit is separate and there's no need to search that one unless credit related. As always, this was only what one company did for my specific situation, and quoting B2S, ymmv.

But yes, it seems so toons. Make sure though that when they say background that it does not entail credit. Maybe something like....oh ok, so you're gonna check my lack of criminal records, addresses, employment and stuff right?...I don't know, you can figure out a way to bring it up and discount the credit piece. Some employers say background in general to encompass all, background, criminal and credit.

Comment

I just recently got a part-time job and I signed for them to conduct a background check, but I still called and spoke to HR about my bk. They said they don't check credit and a lot of people are struggling so bad credit is very common. As I get closer to graduating, I will be looking for a job in my field, so this information helps a lot. I will definitely pay attention to the types of checks they run and will ask questions if need be. Hopefully they will be so enamored with my experience and education that they wouldn't care if my score is 100! ;^) Thanks again for posting this info.
            Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
            341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
            Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by kartoons19 View Post
              Thanks again for posting this info.
              You are welcome. Glad to help. I've also blogged this info, and maybe it ought to become a sticky...thoughts?

Comment

Thanks very much for this; I do think it should be a sticky. It's very helpful to me right now - I have received a verbal offer for a new job at a large corporation but it is contingent on the background check, which started a few days ago. It's being done through one of those automated background-check companies, and should take about 5 business days to complete. When the process is done I will request a copy and post the specifics here. I know they pulled my credit because I got a notification from TrueCredit within hours of authorizing the background check online.

I am currently employed, so not-getting this job wouldn't be a total disaster, but I have had a few anxious nights wondering whether my credit or BK is going to be a problem. They never asked about either, even on the extensive written application, so I haven't brought it up.
                DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

As promised, here's what was in my background check file, which was completed last night.
                  -------------------------------------------------
                  • Personal Information: Name(s), DOB, SSN
                  • National Criminal Search: All 50 states, including some county and local jurisdictions
                  • Education: School, Dates Attended, Major, Degree type, Degree received, Date of degree. Only verified highest degree. Used their own database to verify.
                  • Employment: Verified with current employer and all others going back to 2006. Employers verified my title and dates but did not give out salary; status is considered complete.
                  • SS Trace / Credit
                  • Last 3 addresses
                  • Summary of credit data: Public Records, Collections, Trade Accounts, Negative Accounts, Satisfactory Accounts, Inquiries
                  • Public record detail: Source, Date Reported, Docket #, Court Type, Record Type, ECOA, Liability, Assets, Amount, Date Paid, Plaintiff/ Attorney
                  • Tradeline detail shown for each account: MOP (status), Remarks, Opened, High Credit, Terms, Verified date, Credit Limit, Amount Past Due, Closed date, Balance, ECOA, Maximum Delinquency
                  • (Interesting note -- 6 months post-discharge, ALL of my tradelines now say "Paid or paying as agreed." They are also all listed as $0 balance, except my recent car loan and my outstanding student loan. I had 0 TLs in the Collections and Negative Accounts categories. )
                  • Inquiry detail: Only showed credit inquiries from 2011, including the background check company's own inquiry.
                  • Address history shown from 2005 forward.
                  • Court Records - Criminal Felony & Misdemeanor (Past 7 Years History) for my current local city and county.
                  DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

Recently I have had 3 interviews and testing with the same company. They have started the background check. I indicated to HR that my credit was not in the "best shape", but did not get into details. They are looking for a connection if any, with criminal and credit, I don't have a criminal background, so who knows how this is going to pan out. We were affected by the housing market on our previus home and I was affected by furlough work days, unemployment and underemployment. It is what it is and the let chips fall where they may!!!

Comment

FWIW, I found out yesterday that I got the job! I was on the phone with the HR rep when he reviewed the background check, and he didn't mention the BK at all...just wanted to know when I could start.

I meant to mention in my last post that the background check company they used is HireRight. I did some research and they have a pretty bad reputation on the web, but my experience with them was OK. It's a completely online process, and even the live-chat customer service rep was helpful. But PLEASE be aware that if you check the box saying it's OK to contact your current company, they will tell your employer that it's for hiring purposes, specifically for the company where you're interviewing, and they will fax your signed consent form over. That made for an incredibly awkward conversation with my current boss.

Beachlover2, if everything's clear except your credit, I suspect you'll be fine. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

CONGRATS, and I will keep everyone posted. Credit is the only issue, (which did not start going bad until May 2008, it was perfect prior to that), I have NO criminal background. Also, since November 2010 we obtained an auto loan (5 days after discharged and closed) and have been making payments without any problems, even early, I hope that may account for something. In January I found out my score was roughly in the 620's.

Comment

Thanks IamOld and Beachlover2! Warranted or not, it feels like a victory over my past and another step towards a new start.

Beachlover2, did they say how long the background check is supposed to take?

Comment

I can only tell you from my past experience as a District Manager. When someone left the company i had to submit paperwork to the HR department. I did have to code why the person left, but most companies can not release why you left. It could create a lawsuit for slander. All the information that is released is dates of employment, and whether you are still employed. Most companies will not even list what your previous pay is. I hope that helps on anyone that is wondering what companies can and can not do.
                              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X