top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i apply for credit before discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i apply for credit before discharge?

Hi,
    I filed Ch. 7 at the end of April. My meeting of creditors was June 21. I was told that within approximately 60 days, discharge should occur. I'm confused first of all because I haven't gotten any kind of notice of discharge. Will I be notified, or am I to assume it has happened since I have not heard otherwise? I have no reason to believe I have not/will not be granted a discharge; I just have not heard anything and it has been something like 70 days now.

Secondly (and the reason I posted in the Rebuilding Credit section)-- Can I go ahead and apply for a credit card now, or am I required to wait until I have some sort of notification of discharge?

Thanks for any help

You can apply for credit if you chose any time after you file. You just will not be able to discharge that debt in another BK for eight years. So choose wisely.

Note that most people wait a year. But there is no legal reason stopping you from doing it now.
    Filed Chapter 7 non-consumer as a pro se. *Discharged* October 2011.

Comment

Also, please, I do not want a lecture about not using credit. I've been living without credit for over 2 years now due to it taking so long to get my bankruptcy case together. I have an offer for a low-limit (300 dollars) card with no annual fee, I have regular income, and I am only interested in the credit this soon because I have a small amount of dental work needing done and I would prefer to charge it so that I can make payments.

Comment

thank you TTG1 for your helpful and straightforward answer My second post was not directed at you, I made it before I saw your reply but after reading some other things in the sticky threads lol

Comment

Your dentist's office won't work with you so that you can make payments directly? I have a payment plan with mine.

But to answer your question about discharge: yes, you will get an official notice from the judge in your case. If you district works like ours did, you will get a notice directly from the BK Court. If you had an attorney, the notice will also go to his/her office, and then you will get a duplicate notice from the attorney's office. Also if you have signed up for PACER, you can view your case online.

Now, many districts are running behind due to the ever increasing numbers of bankruptcies being filed. If you have heard nothing from the court or trustee regarding your case after about three weeks or so, call the clerk of the BK Court, and ask to speak to your caseworker. Have your case number in hand, as the number determines which person is assigned to your case. If you have an attorney, sometimes they are reluctant to speak with you, and will tell you to talk to the attorney. But tell them that you are checking to see that all is in order with your case, and if there is anything missing that needs to be in your file. Based on the answer you will know whether you need to take further action.

In our case, the hold-up was the lack of a copy of our Marriage License in the file. We had taken it to the 341 as instructed. But when we tried to give it to the trustee, he said he didn't need it. Well, it WAS needed. Once it was scanned and uploaded to our file, we were Discharged that very day!

Good luck to you!
          Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM. Reason: correcting typos
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
            Your dentist's office won't work with you so that you can make payments directly? I have a payment plan with mine.

But to answer your question about discharge: yes, you will get an official notice from the judge in your case. If you district works like ours did, you will get a notice directly from the BK Court. If you had an attorney, the notice will also go to his/her office, and then you will get a duplicate notice from the attorney's office. Also if you have signed up for PACER, you can view your case online.

Now, many districts are running behind due to the ever increasing numbers of bankruptcies being filed. If you have hear nothing from the court or trustee regarding your case after about three weeks or so, call the clerk of the BK Court, and ask to speak to your caseworker. Have your case number in hand, as the number determines which person is assigned to your case. If you have an attorney, sometimes they are reluctant to speak with you, and will tell to talk to the attorney. But tell them that you are checking to see that all is in order with your case, and if there is anything missing that needs to be in your file. Based on the answer you will know whether you need to take further action.

I our case, the hold-up was the lack of a copy of our Marriage License in the file. We had taken it to the 341 as instructed. But when we tried to give it to the trustee, he said he didn't need it. Well, it WAS needed. Once it was scanned and uploaded to our file, we were Discharged that very day!

Good luck to you!
            Thank you SO much! I will give them till mid-next week and then call. I'm not worried really, just impatient I guess, lol. Just want this over with.
            As for the dentist, I asked about making payments and was told about Care Credit, which I am pretty certain I wouldn't be able to get right now. I'm just worried that my $250 cavity, by the time I save up enough to pay for it in a few months, will have become a $1000 root canal, lol. Maybe they would let me do a cash payment plan, I hadn't really thought about that. I will have to check with them. I was kind of put off by the Care Credit thing. Anyway, thank you again

Comment

Grapes11

Just a word of warning, I would pull all three credit reports and review what's in there first before you start applying. All accounts that you put on your BK petition should be reporting IIB (Included in BK) with zero balances, you should also see under your court record section your BK. Your creditors are lighting fast in reporting lates but can be slow reporting that IIB. If the account is not listed as IIB it counts in the credit matrix as a "open" past due/charged off account and may stop you from being approved for a rebuilding card.

Review your reports, make sure all accounts are reporting IIB, disputing is easy on line, there is even a drop down for it. Once everything is reporting with zero balances and IIB then you should be able to apply for that rebuilding card without wasting your time and frustration.

Meanwhile talk to your dentist office manager, in this economy it's got be a way of life with them. I know my dentist office offers a line of credit via a third party company - careful the interest rate was 30%. But if you are honest and say that you would not qualify for a line of credit at this time, do you offer cash discounts, payment plans, and ask for options.

Congrats on the discharge, good luck with the rebuilding and I hope it's a painless visit to the dentist; both in the mouth and the wallet.
              Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

Originally posted by grapes11 View Post
                Thank you SO much! I will give them till mid-next week and then call. I'm not worried really, just impatient I guess, lol. Just want this over with.
                As for the dentist, I asked about making payments and was told about Care Credit, which I am pretty certain I wouldn't be able to get right now. I'm just worried that my $250 cavity, by the time I save up enough to pay for it in a few months, will have become a $1000 root canal, lol. Maybe they would let me do a cash payment plan, I hadn't really thought about that. I will have to check with them. I was kind of put off by the Care Credit thing. Anyway, thank you again
                I used care credit for a procedure and had 18 months interest free work done. Most dentists only allow 12 months. I did not apply for it but my wife did. I don't know if I would be approved but I'm more concerned about inquiries and obtaining too much new credit since I'm looking at mortgages in the near future. My wife's credit is in the 800's so inquiries and new credit don't hurt her one bit as long as we can justify it to an underwriter if asked.
                My recommendation is start saving for an emergency fund for stuff like this. You're much better being in front of the emergencies than behind as I'm sure you're very aware. But as always do what is best for your situation.
                Logan
                Logan

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X