An open credit account survived Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An open credit account survived Chapter 7

While looking through credit reports we found DH still has an open Kohls account with a 1500.00 limit.We have used and paid the balance already. DH wanted to be sure it worked. I love being able to use the 30 off for card holders!
    Pp

Congrats. It does happen occasionally. Then again, don't be surprised if it up and disappears. Good luck!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I have two zero balance accounts that survived; both accounts are still open today and I've been discharged for almost three years. My Macy's store account and Macy's VISA are still open (they have since been switched over to AmEx) and my QVC card stayed open, as well. I use the accounts occasionally and pay the balances in full.
      CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
      341 Meeting 4/7/2009
      Discharged 7/10/2009
      Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

My two small CC-accounts (one secured, one unsecured) which I paid off prior to filing are also still open and reporting without any BK-notation.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I had two that survived. Macy's, they closed several months after the first time I used it. I haven't used the other one (victorias secret) and it's still there. Just be careful using them. Sometimes they don't review your credit if you aren't using the card, but once you start using it, they might start doing their regular reviews (to see about offering a CL increase and the like) and notice something the didn't notice before.

Comment

Heck yeah, my Victoria Secret card not only survived, but thrived. I swear, they gave me 2 credit line increases right before I filed BK. They continue to increase my credit every semi annual sale. VS is notorious for having low limit cards around $300 or $500. I am at $2000, lol.
            Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
            Discharged: August 2010
            A life lesson well learned.

Comment

This gives me hope. I have a Victoria's Secret credit card and that's the one I'm really dreading being closed. It's not that I even use it more than once a year, but the coupons that come with it are nice. So there is a chance from what I'm reading of keeping store credit cards? I have a Best Buy one which may have already been closed due to lack of use and a Limited one that I wouldn't miss along with an Eddie Bauer that rarely gets used. I'm current on all bills so would that keep them open?

Comment

I have always dreamed of meeting a young lady who is now debt free and has a Victoria's Secret credit card. A couple thousand dollars worth of purchases at Victoria's Secret?

Just Kidding....

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                  I have always dreamed of meeting a young lady who is now debt free and has a Victoria's Secret credit card. A couple thousand dollars worth of purchases at Victoria's Secret?

Just Kidding....
                  LOL I'm tellling you, the free panty coupons are worth keeping the card.

Comment

I think what helped is that my VS card had no balance at the time that I filed BK. So when I was listing all my debts I just left it off. I was taking for granted that all my cards would be closed, whether it would be listed or not. Nope!!

I love the card. I use it maybe 3 or 4 times a year, always pay it in full because the interest is ridonkulous. The coupons suck you in for buying more, but they truly are good deals. I usually give them away, though, since they expire so quickly.

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post

Just Kidding....
                    Heheh, I understand, my boyfriend never complains when I buy from VS. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
                      I think what helped is that my VS card had no balance at the time that I filed BK. So when I was listing all my debts I just left it off. I was taking for granted that all my cards would be closed, whether it would be listed or not. Nope!!

I love the card. I use it maybe 3 or 4 times a year, always pay it in full because the interest is ridonkulous. The coupons suck you in for buying more, but they truly are good deals. I usually give them away, though, since they expire so quickly.

Heheh, I understand, my boyfriend never complains when I buy from VS. ;D
                      I'm the same way, always pay the balance in full. So I don't have to list credit cards with 0 balances? Didn't realize that. I have about 3 or 4 department store credit cards that fall into this category. I just assumed they would be closed and most of them I wouldn't mind if they were since I rarely use them, but I guess if I had a preference I'd like to keep the VS card out of all of them. I also have a Mastercard that had a 0 balance until last night when I charged something on it. One of the lawyers I talked to said that it would most likely be closed since it's owned by Citibank and one of my others with a large balance is as well.

Comment

If you leave it off you are not including it in the BK. That does not guarantee they will still not close your card. Banks periodically review your credit, and if they see a BK, they may decide to close your accounts... that being said if you are worried specifically about VS then I wouldn't fret. There was another thread where several people said their VS cards survived BK.

Just to be safe I did not request credit limit increases from them for over a year. Honestly, I didn't have to. They kept increasing it every semi annual sale, anyway. I waited a year before I requested an increase, and they gave me a $500 increase. I don't know whether it is sad or funny that VS is one of my larger credit lines.

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
                          If you leave it off you are not including it in the BK. That does not guarantee they will still not close your card. Banks periodically review your credit, and if they see a BK, they may decide to close your accounts... that being said if you are worried specifically about VS then I wouldn't fret. There was another thread where several people said their VS cards survived BK.

Just to be safe I did not request credit limit increases from them for over a year. Honestly, I didn't have to. They kept increasing it every semi annual sale, anyway. I waited a year before I requested an increase, and they gave me a $500 increase. I don't know whether it is sad or funny that VS is one of my larger credit lines.
                          It's odd, I don't even use the VS card more than twice a year, but I'd still like to keep it. They have a lot perks with their card. I think I saw that thread you were talking about. Hopefully mine will be safe.

Comment

I filed CH7 in September 2011 and it finally looks like i'm heading to a full discharge within the next week or so. All my accounts are reporting IIB but one account is still open and working. It is my Macy's card.

Comment

Originally posted by spydc View Post
                              I filed CH7 in September 2011 and it finally looks like i'm heading to a full discharge within the next week or so. All my accounts are reporting IIB but one account is still open and working. It is my Macy's card.
                              Did you report your Macy's card in the BK? Just curious.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X