top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denied Barclays - any other unsecured cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm... I cannot remember if they do a hard pull or a soft to join. Sorry. They are BK friendly however I would recommend doing DCU over SDFCU. With SDFCU I was denied for a credit card twice and sent in a reconsideration letter the second time and then got approved after the recon. With DCU, it was a piece of cake and I've heard a lot of good things about people getting approved.

I just refinanced 2 car loans with DCU to 3.49% with a 1% good payment over time reduction. They are doing a 1/4% rate reduction for every 3 months of paying on time. As I was talking to the CSR who did my loan she told me I was also pre-approved for a credit card as well. So, with one credit pull I got 2 car loans and a credit card. DCU will do a hard pull for membership and then another hard pull for credit products on Equifax.

Another perk of DCU is you get a monthly FICO score from Equifax for free.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

You have a pretty good credit score but Barclays has 2 different Rewards cards-one for fair credit and one for excellent credit. You may try going to ******* as they have the fair credit Barclays card. With your credit score and being a year post bankruptcy, you shouldn't have a problem getting approved for that one (I wouldn't think anyway). But you did mention you haven't applied for any cards before now. If that's the case, if you haven't actively been trying to rebuild your credit, then you may have to start with a secured card. Be careful not to apply for too many cards at once as that will lower your credit score. Good luck!
      Last edited by frogger; 09-14-2012, 08:32 AM. Reason: Helpful advice is welcome, but don't be pimping other websites please.

Comment

PNC Bank offers a secured card. I got mine and deposited $250 for a matching limit on the card. There is a $3 a month service charge, but that's it.
        Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
        Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
        Discharged April 2012

Comment

Originally posted by chloe0724 View Post
          PNC Bank offers a secured card. I got mine and deposited $250 for a matching limit on the card. There is a $3 a month service charge, but that's it.
          Did they pull your credit for the PNC secured card? I've been banking with PNC for many years and asked them about their "secret" secured card and they told me that yes, they have them but they would check my credit. Of course my credit sucks, so I didn't bother.
          Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
          November 2010
          Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

I joined SDFCU 2 months ago and there wasn't an hp.

I joined DCU and they did an hp on Equifax.
            Chp 13: Filed 3/26/2007

11/5/2012 - 68 Months and finally free!

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
              DCU will do a hard pull for membership and then another hard pull for credit products on Equifax.
              Oh dear.. that sounds a bit crazy.. I wonder if they still do this if you apply for membership and a credit card at the same time. 2 hard pulls is a bit much IMO.
              Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Well, if you participate in Equifax "bumpage" its not so bad. And two inquiries is not bad for being in DCU... its a great CU and I was able to get 2 auto refi's and a CC with one pull. So, if you can stomach the membership pull and then the CC/loan pull... it can be worth it. And then if you bump the inquiries off, you have lost nothing.
                BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

Well, if you participate in Equifax "bumpage" its not so bad. And two inquiries is not bad for being in DCU... its a great CU and I was able to get 2 auto refi's and a CC with one pull. So, if you can stomach the membership pull and then the CC/loan pull... it can be worth it. And then if you bump the inquiries off, you have lost nothing.
                  What is "bumpage"?

Comment

Unfortunately, I have 6 hard inquiries (over 2 years) so I will wait to take the chance for 1-2 more hits from DCU. I want to make sure when I apply, that I will actually get accepted. I have 2 inquiries dropping off in Dec.. guess I'll wait until then. 2 years seems like forever (how long inquiries stay on your credit report).. but that's just how it is.
                    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
                      What is "bumpage"?
                      Bumpage is where you soft your reports so many times in a month that it removes hard inquiries off your credit report. There is a lot more to it than that, but that is the jist. It can only be done on Equifax and Trans Union.

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
                        Unfortunately, I have 6 hard inquiries (over 2 years) so I will wait to take the chance for 1-2 more hits from DCU. I want to make sure when I apply, that I will actually get accepted. I have 2 inquiries dropping off in Dec.. guess I'll wait until then. 2 years seems like forever (how long inquiries stay on your credit report).. but that's just how it is.
                        An inquiry really stops being harmful to you after about six months - after a year it stops affecting your credit score. If you haven't had any inquiries in almost two years then you are fine. DCU is also nice because they provide you a free Equifax FICO score every month.

Comment

I see lots of mention about DCU (Digital Credit Union) but their webpage says I need to be an employee or family member of certain companies/groups. Do they accept non-members? Or do I need to join one of the groups?

Comment

Anyone can join DCU... you just need to become a member of one of their organizations as outlined below:

Participating Organizations
                            If you are an active member of one of these participating organizations or you join one, you are automatically eligible to join DCU. Once you join DCU, you can remain a member for life. Each of these organizations is open to everyone.

Participating Organizations – Dues of $10 to $19
                            Reach Out for Schools
                            Reach Out for Schools, PO Box 714, Marlborough, MA 01752
                            Reach Out for Schools Web Site | Reach Out for Schools/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
                            Reach Out for Schools is a non-profit membership organization that raises money to donate to primary and secondary schools in communities where our members reside. All the funds we raise are currently used to adopt classrooms through the Adopt-A-Classroom program.
                            Memberships start at $10.
                            AAPD – American Association of People with Disabilities
                            AAPD Member Services, 18 Harvard Drive, Milford, MA 01757
                            AAPD Web Site | AAPD/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
                            AAPD is a national nonprofit cross-disability membership organization dedicated to ensuring economic and political empowerment for all people with disabilities. Member benefits include access to DCU, mail order discount pharmacy discount program, and more.
                            Memberships start at $15.
                            New England Chapter, PRRT&HS
                            New England Chapter, PRRT&HS, PO Box 624, Marlborough, MA 01752
                            New England Chapter, PRRT&HS Web Site | New England Chapter, PRRT&HS/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
                            The New England Chapter is a non-profit affiliate of the PRRT&HS dedicated to the study and historical preservation of the Pennsylvania Railroad (1846-1968) and the fellowship of its members. It serves PRR fans in all six New England states, but all people with an interest in the PRR are welcome. Dues include the quarterly publication The East Wind. Membership in the national society is not required for membership in the chapter, but is strongly encouraged.
                            Annual dues are $15.

I believe I joined American Association of People with Disabilities.

Comment

An inquiry really stops being harmful to you after about six months - after a year it stops affecting your credit score. If you haven't had any inquiries in almost two years then you are fine. DCU is also nice because they provide you a free Equifax FICO score every month.
                              Thanks for all of the info Amy26. I did go ahead and join up with them. I do now see they did a HP on EQ for membership which is fine. The good thing is, I now have only 3 hard pulls total (including the DCU hp) with EQ over 2 years. I have 6 with TU, but based on some research, it looks like they only pull EQ. I'm crossing my fingers and will do a DCU CC app soon!

Also, I've read everywhere that hard pulls are counted over the last 2 years. Where did you get your information that only hard pulls within about 6 months affects your credit score?

Comment

Hard pulls stay on your credit for 2 years but they basically stop impacting your credit score at 6 months and then 1 year. Generally speaking, if you are putting 1 or 2 inquiries on your report no sooner than 6 months apart you won't have any issues. Some creditors will take into account inquiries farther back than 6 months but it varies. It also varies if it is a manual review.

But in a generalized rule of thumb, 6 months is usually good between inquiries. There are of course exceptions to every rule in the credit world.

And congrats on joining DCU, I hope they are good to you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X