Should I apply for Amazon.com CC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I apply for Amazon.com CC?

I'm not interested in all in getting new available credit - I'm only interested in the $30 bonus for signing up. However, it seems that Chase (who is the real bank for the CC, and a bank from which I got about $40K discharged) is discriminating against BK folks. And there is a check box asking if I have ever filed for BK, which I take as "we will automatically decline you, so why are you wasting your time filling out this form, stupid?"

What do you think?

Probably, from what I've heard.

Comment

I checked the credit pulls database and I do see people getting approved with BK's that are like 3+ years old. Someone with a BK from 2011 was denied for Bankruptcy. So, if they do approve... it seems it would need to be like 3 years or more since discharge. Also, if you burned them in the BK, they could possibly blacklist.

When was your discharge?
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
        When was your discharge?
        mid 2010

Comment

When my credit was good with a 750 Fico I could not get a card from Chase lol! But I have read on the forums here that Chase is not BK friendly. Good luck to you if you do decide to apply.

Comment

When we had a credit score of 820, 'Hub could not get a Home Depot card. We never figured out why. That was three years before we filed BK. In 2011, I tried to get the Bill Me Later feature through PayPal, but was denied because of the BK. We were discharged August 2008.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
              I checked the credit pulls database and I do see people getting approved with BK's that are like 3+ years old. Someone with a BK from 2011 was denied for Bankruptcy. So, if they do approve... it seems it would need to be like 3 years or more since discharge. Also, if you burned them in the BK, they could possibly blacklist.

When was your discharge?

What is the credit pulls database?
              BK7 - Discharged May 2011

Comment

It is a database on another forum that people add to constantly and post which credit bureau banks/creditors pull, their credit score, if they were approved or not and what their credit looks like. So, like if I look up amazon it will show me all the entries from people that were approved or denied that applied for the amazon credit card. And people add comments like if they had a bankruptcy, if they have any collections on their credit...

Its really a wealth of information.
                BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  When we had a credit score of 820, 'Hub could not get a Home Depot card. We never figured out why. That was three years before we filed BK. In 2011, I tried to get the Bill Me Later feature through PayPal, but was denied because of the BK. We were discharged August 2008.
                  I once had a coworker that had that problem and it turned out they had too much credit. Not too much debt, just too many open accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by ksgirl38 View Post
                    I once had a coworker that had that problem and it turned out they had too much credit. Not too much debt, just too many open accounts.
                    We only had two credit cards. I think we had too many 'hard pulls'--which I do not understand--on the credit.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                      In 2011, I tried to get the Bill Me Later feature through PayPal, but was denied because of the BK. We were discharged August 2008.
                      I guess Bill Me Later is kind of "hit and miss" about approvals/denials due to BK. My BK was just discharged and I was approved for Bill Me Later on an eBay purchase later the same week. I basically just chose the Bill Me Later option out of curiosity, expecting it to say it was declined, so I was shocked it said I was approved. The purchase amount was less than $40, but I think the minimum initial credit line is $250 (although I think one site said the minimum initial credit line was $500), even if the purchase amount is low (and if you get approved for a higher amount, that particular amount is your beginning credit limit). I think I read that they don't report to the credit bureaus unless you're delinquent on your payments, so if that's true, then Bill Me Later isn't something to use for rebuilding credit (since your on-time payments won't show on your credit report).
                      Last edited by SadPanda; 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuagraham View Post
                        I'm not interested in all in getting new available credit - I'm only interested in the $30 bonus for signing up. However, it seems that Chase (who is the real bank for the CC, and a bank from which I got about $40K discharged) is discriminating against BK folks. And there is a check box asking if I have ever filed for BK, which I take as "we will automatically decline you, so why are you wasting your time filling out this form, stupid?"

What do you think?
                        Absolutely not unless you just want to waste a hard inquiry. Chase will not give you anything in the near future since you IIB, however the Amazon Store card, which is issued by GECRB just might but I'm not sure that they have the sign up bonus.
                        Chp 13: Filed 3/26/2007

11/5/2012 - 68 Months and finally free!

Comment

This is an instant approval thing, which means --- correct me if I'm wrong, anybody -- they are checking only your credit score. I'm going by years ago, when I also wanted the $30 bonus and received the Chase card. If you submit the application, accidentally check the wrong box on their question, and receive the $30 bonus, no harm done, you will pay your balance and since you can't file bk for years, you are ok. You can always close your account after you've received the benefit. Hope I'm not villified for suggesting this, but I do hate Chase, who raised my monthly minimum payment, ruining all my budget plans 3 and a half years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kawh View Post
                            This is an instant approval thing, which means --- correct me if I'm wrong, anybody -- they are checking only your credit score. I'm going by years ago, when I also wanted the $30 bonus and received the Chase card. If you submit the application, accidentally check the wrong box on their question, and receive the $30 bonus, no harm done, you will pay your balance and since you can't file bk for years, you are ok. You can always close your account after you've received the benefit. Hope I'm not villified for suggesting this, but I do hate Chase, who raised my monthly minimum payment, ruining all my budget plans 3 and a half years ago.
                            Wow, Chase did the same to me. The minimum payment was raised to 5% of the balance from the regular 1% or whatever. I think there is a class action lawsuit for folks like us that got screwed like that.

Comment

Yep Chase did the same to us also raised our payments one of the reason we filed BK. Now they get nothing when they could have had something.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X