top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Approved for two new cards - Barclay and JCP (GE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approved for two new cards - Barclay and JCP (GE)

My husband, who is five months out from his discharge, hasn't been able to get new credit in his name since (he's on Cap1's blacklist), so after reading these forums, he decided to apply for a Barclays unsecured. He was approved for $2500! It is at 25% APR, but that doesn't bother us because we will not be using it unless the cash is already in place to pay it off (save for some emergency). I was already approved for a Cap1 unsecured with a $1000 limit from a few months ago, but I figured what the heck and applied for the Barclays as well (I am over a year out from my discharge). I was also approved for $2500.

Three days later, I was doing back-to-school shopping with my daughter and was ready to fork over $300 in cash to the clerk at JC Penney's when she offered the old 20%-if-I-get-approved-for-a-credit-card deal. Since it would be a significant savings considering the amount of my purchase, I figured why not. It did require a phone call from the clerk (not sure why or if they all need one), but I got approved for $800. I charged my purchase to my new JCP card and then paid it off seconds later.

Suffice it to say that I am DONE with opening new credit for the foreseeable (and probably beyond) future, but it feels good to know that now I can start rebuilding by using it wisely. I share this in case anyone else wanted an idea of who to apply to. Of note, I learned that JCP is backed by GE. Interestingly, about three months back, GE declined us for CareCredit because of our BKs.

My hubby is in the same boat. I get all kinds of cc offer he gets none. Which Barclays card did you apply for was it a rewards card and if so which one

Pam

Comment

I was discharged from my 13 in May of this year and 5 weeks later I applied for the Barclays reward card and was approved. I was very shocked to say the least. I love the no annual fee on the card.

Comment

Barclays and Cap1 both took a while before they decided to approve me. now I have a $2k Cap1 Cash Rewards and a 4k Barclays. Your husband will not be on Cap1's crap list for long. There are many who discharged Cap1, only to get approved for their card within a year. I am surprised about JCP, I thought they were not BK friendly.
        Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
        Discharged: August 2010
        A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
          My hubby is in the same boat. I get all kinds of cc offer he gets none. Which Barclays card did you apply for was it a rewards card and if so which one

Pam
          It is the Barclays Rewards Platinum Mastercard. Fourth card down as I look at this link: http://www.aboutbarclaycardus.com/pr...e_products.php It's the one for "good credit," not excellent. No annual fee or anything. Weird how some of us get singled out and others don't. My credit didn't take the hit pre-BK though that his did. His got massacred. I filed with a 780 credit score.

I was surprised too on JCP. Glad it went through and I didn't have to do the walk of shame! Good to know about Cap1 not blacklisting you forever. They did sue him, which hastened his filing, so I thought it might be a while. We don't play on applying for anything more right now, but it's still nice to get off a black list.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpeanut01 View Post
            It is the Barclays Rewards Platinum Mastercard. Fourth card down as I look at this link: http://www.aboutbarclaycardus.com/pr...e_products.php It's the one for "good credit," not excellent. No annual fee or anything. Weird how some of us get singled out and others don't. My credit didn't take the hit pre-BK though that his did. His got massacred. I filed with a 780 credit score.

I was surprised too on JCP. Glad it went through and I didn't have to do the walk of shame! Good to know about Cap1 not blacklisting you forever. They did sue him, which hastened his filing, so I thought it might be a while. We don't play on applying for anything more right now, but it's still nice to get off a black list.
            Thanks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X