For people who HATE cooking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For people who HATE cooking...

This is not for people who just think they hate cooking - this is for people who really, really hate spending any time in a kitchen. (Or is it just my generation? Generation Xers unite!?)

I know a lot about this and I am stuck on a product called Homestyle Bakes. Everything is in the box. It takes all of literally five minutes - if that - to read instructions that a monkey (my mentality most of the time!) could follow right off of the box. It bakes for about 35 minutes or so. Put a salad with it and you have dinner.

I'm not even talking about the kind where you have to add your own chicken or anything. That's too much work!

It is a step up from a tv dinner and is perhaps much cheaper at about $3.00 a box to feed two really big eaters or 3 normal eaters in an 8X8 pan. Heck, there's 3 of us and when I use them - about 2 or 3 times a week - I will make two boxes in the 13x9 size pan and have some leftover.

The favorite here is the chicken and dumplings with beef stroganoff as a second. These are dishes that I, personally, would never adventure into if it wasn't for this product. There are about 11 or 13 different types out there.

If you want to know if it has nutritional value, then my answer would be that, yes, some do have vegetables in them. Well, it has a lot more nutritional value than if I had the desire to make it myself, I'm sure. Just do the salad part like I do to cover yourself!

I make my own tomato sauce (from cans, of course - 3rd generation Italian, thank you) every week and they die for it here, but I will even admit that I like the lasagna bake from the box sometimes. As poor Grandma is rolling over in her grave...

Be well,

Mrs. H.
    Last edited by Mrs. H; 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM. Reason: Ummm...
    March 2008 - Filed Chapter 13
    May 2008 - Confirmed
    May 2013 - Discharged / June 2013 - CLOSED

I go for the frozen dollar deals ! I love it when Stouffers are on sale. This past month I've stuck with salads in a bag. Talk about saving money when one can eat the same thing for a week or two or three. I will admit I do splurge a bit on the weekend, and of course when payday hits!

Best Wishes, Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I love the Homestyle Bakes. I use them quite a bit. My problem is, I love to cook, but my DW and DD are so picky, our menu is very limited. I usually make a bake, and take it for my lunch a couple of days.

Comment

Those are a heart attack in a box. The sodium levels are through the roof.

I spent 5 minutes on my dinner tonight and I HATE HATE HATE cooking!

I took chicken breasts, salsa, dumped in a crock pot and I'm done. Tonight I will shred the chicken with a fork, put it on tortillas with taco toppings. Yummy, cheap & easy.

*I made my own salsa for the first time today. I normaly do jar salsa.
        Filed 09/05
        Discarged 1/2/06
        Closed 1/13/06

Comment

I have used Homestyle Bakes for dinner before. I enjoy them. You do have to watch it if folks with high blood pressure in the family. They are very good though.

Generally for work lunches I take the 1 dollar freezer bargains .
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

All processed foods always have additives, preservatives, and.... be ware if some chinese stuffs in it!...

Comment

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by JeepMom View Post
              Those are a heart attack in a box. The sodium levels are through the roof.

I spent 5 minutes on my dinner tonight and I HATE HATE HATE cooking!

I took chicken breasts, salsa, dumped in a crock pot and I'm done. Tonight I will shred the chicken with a fork, put it on tortillas with taco toppings. Yummy, cheap & easy.

*I made my own salsa for the first time today. I normaly do jar salsa.
              I appreciate this recipe! I hate cooking too but love to crock pot. haha I tried this and it is delicious! My hubby and baby loved it too. Got any other recipes??? S&T

Comment

Hey,
                Im a Gen xer and I LOVE cooking, but not when its 90 degrees out. Those are ceasar salad nights...
                I make Chinese, Korean, sushi rolls, Italian, classic American, French...I spend tons of time googling recipes. As a result my kids eat everything, even eel!!!
                My hubby likes to cook too. He cooks uo some mean Korean dishes. YUMMO!
                Heck, I even have my own veggie & herb garden. I think I am the only x-er who likes to cook. I learned to cook young, cuz I like tasty hot & spicey stuff & my mom's cooking is BLAND stew type meals...ICK!
                I have high BP and have some issues with MSG and allergies. I rarely eat frozen/prepared due to that. Most look decent though.
                WAM
                ch7 8/07 CLOSED: 11/07 Rebuilding and saving.
                WAMU unsecured $2,000 Capital One unsecured $500
                PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

I don't know what I would do without my crockpot! I like having dinner ready when I get home from work. There's a really good cookbook "Fix it and Forget it Lightly" that has healthy crock pot recipes. Many of the recipes are pretty cheap too. I also eat a bean-based meal at least a couple times a week. My oldest son hates beans or we would eat them even more often. BYW, I'm not a cruel mom, I always save an extra helping from a non-bean meal and freeze it so he doesn't have to eat the dreaded beans!
                  Filed Chapter 7 pro se- 7/24/07
                  341 Meeting - 9/13/07 Done!
                  Last day for objections - 11/12/07
                  Discharged!!!! -11/26/07

Comment

Originally posted by whatamess View Post
                    Hey,
                    Im a Gen xer and I LOVE cooking, but not when its 90 degrees out. Those are ceasar salad nights...
                    I make Chinese, Korean, sushi rolls, Italian, classic American, French...I spend tons of time googling recipes. As a result my kids eat everything, even eel!!!
                    My hubby likes to cook too. He cooks uo some mean Korean dishes. YUMMO!
                    Heck, I even have my own veggie & herb garden. I think I am the only x-er who likes to cook. I learned to cook young, cuz I like tasty hot & spicey stuff & my mom's cooking is BLAND stew type meals...ICK!
                    I have high BP and have some issues with MSG and allergies. I rarely eat frozen/prepared due to that. Most look decent though.
                    WAM
                    How do you have the time? I don't get home usually until about 6:30-7pm and I am so exhausted I just don't want to cook...not that I don't like it, when I have the time, but during the week, I'm just too tired. By the time dinner is prepped, eaten, dishes cleared it's past 8 o'clock! How do you do it?
                    9/26/07 Initial meeting with atty, ch. 13
                    10/01/07 2nd meeting with atty, now ch. 7, received paperwork
                    Waiting to save up atty fee and turn in paperwork...let's get filed!!
                    10/31/07 Officially filed with case number!341 on 12/5

Comment

I usually only cook every 2-3 days. I just refrigerate everything and eat left-overs. I'm somewhat lazy. I do crock-pot stuff, the Electric Wok, the rice maker, the bread machine, easy omelettes. Generally this means throwing stuff in and waiting for it to get done. I make a mean curry though. My favorite styles of cuisine are Indian, and Chinese, with Mexican and Italian close behind, I guess that means I like spicy food too. I have a really tough time with "bland" food like "boiled beef" whatever that is.
                      Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

i absolutley hate cooking/preparing food as well. this is what my days are like. for breakfast BF usually cooks me an egg n cheese omelet. snacks for the day are cottage cheese and yogurt. dinner is a hot pocket or something else frozen that i can get alot of at sams club for cheap and i can grab it and head out to work. i also buy those bags of lettuce. usually im starving when i come home from work so ill make myself i nice tuna or salmon salad.
                        retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                        10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                        09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

One of my favorite Crockpot meals is Meatballs.

1 bag frozen meatballs
                          1 bottle cheap BBQ sauce
                          1 jar cheap grape jelly

You don't even have to stir. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or hi for 4. Serve with bread, on buns, with salad or rice.
                          Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
                          DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
                          Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
                          Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

for xmas my mom is getting us a crockpot, so that will be nice.
                            retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                            10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                            09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MomIcantFindmy View Post
                              One of my favorite Crockpot meals is Meatballs.

1 bag frozen meatballs
                              1 bottle cheap BBQ sauce
                              1 jar cheap grape jelly

You don't even have to stir. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or hi for 4. Serve with bread, on buns, with salad or rice.

grape jelly????? what in the world????? please explain what this ingredient adds to the recipe
                              Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                              (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X