Freecycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freecycle

If you live near a good-sized city, there's a great resource called "Freecycle", which is sort of a Craigslist-type thing, only everything is free. You do have to sign up for a Yahoo Groups account, since it's a subscription listserv. There are 4,600+ groups, and almost 6 million members.

Now sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes folks are just looking for somebody to take their trash away for them for free. But I've been a member for a couple of years, and I've only gotten burned twice.

A partial list of handy items we've gotten includes 12' of insulated stove pipe, lots of cinderblocks, a perfectly good skylight, several nice old doors, a wicker rocker, lots of canning jars, a great old 1940's propane cookstove, and a tiny little woodstove. We also borrowed an expensive log chain (yep - from a total stranger), and even scored one or two music gigs - it's a cool way to meet your neighbors. And, of course, to get rid of the stuff that didn't sell at your last garage sale.

http://www.freecycle.org/
    Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
    341 meeting: July 18, 2008
    last day for objections: September 16, 2008
    DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

I have been a lurker on freecycle for a couple years. It seems like a great place to find something you are looking for that others don't need anymore.

Comment

I've used it successfully many times offering and accepting. It has saved me hundreds of dollars.

Comment

freecycle rocks

Got rid of a bunch of books today, and received a digital camera.
        It's brilliant.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

It's a neat idea, but I don't live close enough to the closest one to make it worthwhile.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X