No announcement yet.

Cell Phone Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently, we use US Cellular. We pay about $110/month for 2 lines, Blackberry service and text messaging. If we get rid of the Blackberry service and text messaging, the lowest our bill could go would be about $75/month.

Our contracts are up soon and we are considering changing to save money.

Currently, we are testing a prepay line from Page Plus Cellular (www.PagePlusCellular.com). They use the Verizon Prepay towers and since I had an old Verizon phone from a relative, I called them and told them I wanted test their service.

They activated the phone with 100 free minutes good for 120 days AND DIDN'T CHARGE ME A PENNY!

There is no roaming (as long as you are on the Verizon Prepay towers), free voice mail, online account management, caller ID, etc.

BEST PART: When you spend $80 to fill your minutes, you get 1400 minutes good for 120 days! That is less than .06 cents per minute.

We will be giving up our Blackberries, but saving $900/year!!!
    Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
    Discharged - 2/29/08
    Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
    Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

I pay $29.95 for 300 anytime minutes with US Cellular. Last month I used about 65 minutes. It's the cheapest plan they have. I've had the same phone for over 3 years.
      Filed CH13 November 2008
      341 with confirmation recommendation Jan 7/09 100% payback to secured and 10% to unsecured.Plan completed and discharge 02/20/13

Comment

We have a tmobile family plan. My wife and I, and our oldest daughter all have phones. We have 700 minutes to share, and no minutes count to call each other. I think we have 500 texts each for about $12.00 a month. The plan is $70, so with charges it comes to around $90.00 a month. We don't have internet(all our phones do wifi), or equipment protection, and we don't buy ringtones or any of that. I use audacity to make our tones, and you can always find wallpapers and stuff online. We've had tmobile for 4 years and have always been happy with it. My contract is up in March, and I'm getting a G1 and the tmobile rep said by then, they'd probably be around $50.00. Oh and we always sell our old phone, and keep one as a backup if one of ours gets damaged.

Comment

Don't use Sprint at any price....

I live very close to the world headquarters of Sprint and cannot get a good signal 1 mile from the place. We take a family vacation, everyone talking on the phone in the National Park, ours was still searching for a signal. As soon as my contract ended I changed to TMobile. Always get a signal.

Comment

I just switched from Tmobile to Cricket - I'm not sure if they have plans in all areas. The one I got was AZ Calling area - unlimited minutes, unlimited text for $35 a month. No credit check, no contracts. they have different offers for each area. my phone was a refurb for $30 and they gave me the first month of service free. they have unlimited everything for $45.
            Ch 7 no asset below means: Filed 4/6
            341 5/11
            DISCHARGED 7/20!
            closed 7/27 - finis!

Comment

We went from paying Verizon 87.00 a month to Trac phone. We buy minutes by the month and spend about $20.00 per month.

Comment

I bought a pre-paid cell phone through Verizon back in 2002 for something like $89.00.

To keep it active, I have to spend at least $15.00 a month ($16.10 after taxes) and since I hardly use the thing, I have a balance of close to $700.00.

A few years back, I upgraded to a new phone and I am thinking about doing the same sometime this year.

I text sometimes, but mostly, I have the phone just incase of emergencies. Plus, it's great to use for creditors. They call my cell all day long and leave my landline free

My wife uses a Tracfone, which I think she has to pay something like $22.00 every 3 months to keep it active. Don't know too much about Tracfone, but I think I got a pretty good deal with my Verizon.
                Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
                341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
                Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
                Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

For many years, I was using T-mobile pre-paid, and I think it is a great deal if you don't use your phone much. You can buy a phone for about $30, which comes with a few minutes of service (not really sure how much). Then, as soon as you have racked up $100 in refills, then any refill you buy doesn't expire for 1 year. So, the first year, you could buy the $100 card and get 1000 minutes. This is what I did, and it lasted me the entire year. If you use it even less than that, you can buy a $10 card at the end of the first year, and the entire remaining balance will have a new 1yr expiration.

Starting last year, I've been working from home, and I separated from my wife, so I opted for a cell phone plan instead of the pre-paid and I don't have a home phone. Again, I went with t-mobile, and I think the prices are good. As for the phone (blackberry), the t-mobile stores and t-mobile online wanted way too much. I found a site called wirefly, and the prices were awesome, I paid nothing and they waived the activation fee. I was required to sign up for blackberry email, but I wanted that anyway because of my job. The deals on wirefly seemed to change all the time, so keep checking back to see what's available.

Comment

Lots of good info here, ty!

I see some changes headed our way....
                    8-4-09 Filed pro se Chap 7 (I still can NOT believe I took that first step!:blink:)
                    8-25-09 Approved to proceed in forma pauperis.:unsure:
                    9-8-09 :dry:Trustee's Report of No Distribution.
                    11-18-09 :yahoo: Discharged! :clapping:

Comment

Been on T-Mobile for years at $39.99 a month/1000 minutes. Now on prepay with them, $100 for 1000 minutes, good for a year. On prepay, once you pay $100, you can also do $50 amounts that are good for a year, but you have to do the $100 first. I've done prepay before and can keep the same number going between plans.

Comment

Currently I use Verizon ... As stated by others thru my employer I get a 17% discount with can really add up over a year.... I pay around $ 90.00 a mth but I have 3 phone on it ... My son, my mom & myself....

I saw an add for "jitterbug" and was going to check it out just havent had time..
                        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                        Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                        Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

AT&T. 1400 minute plan, 2 phones, free nights/weekends, free calls to AT&T cells, now with free calls to any 10 numbers that you list. Great service, priced @89.95 per month.

And another thing..... you DON'T have to sign a 2 year plan if you choose to buy your phones. When you go with anyone that uses a sims card (like At&T), you get the card, pay for the plan, and buy phones off E-bay or somewhere on the cheap.

My agreement is monthly, I can cancel at anytime with no fees, and my latest phone is a Samsung flip phone with camera that I bought for $4.00 off E-Bay.
                          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

We are with T-mobile. Been with them for about 5 years. Have 4 lines (4 cellphones-got kids). We get free tmobile-tmobile, unlimited nights and weekends, each line gets to call 5 numbers for free (My Favs), 1800 minutes to share between all 4 lines, unlimited text messaging/pic messages. I am about to upgrade to either My Touch or Motorla Cliq.

My Favs Family Plan : $89.99
                            Family Unlimited Text/Pic Messaging : $19.99
                            For the two additional lines $9.99 each.

I have not found anything that can compare to what we are paying.

Tanya
                            Went into financial rehab 8/30/09
                            Celebrated legal financial sobriety 12/9/09
                            On The Road To Rebuilding
                            5 active accounts in good standing

Comment

I use Sprint. I just copy and pasted my plan from their site. I'm happy with it- especially now that it includes Any Mobile, Anytime. Bonus was that I got my phone for a penny.

* Everything Plus 500 Blackberry
                              * $59.99 Minimum Monthly Charge
                              * 500 Anytime Minutes
                              * Nationwide Long Distance Included
                              * AMERICA - ROAMING Included
                              * Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime
                              * Unlimited Sms
                              * Unlimited Blackberry Internet Service (bis)
                              * Sprint Navigation
                              * Caller ID
                              * Call Waiting
                              * Three-way Calling
                              * Voicemail

Monthly charge for service plan
                              $59.99
                              Plan add-ons for BLACKBERRY TOUR

* Picture Mail: Included
                              * Nights and weekends starting at 7pm: Included
                              * Total Equipment Protection 7.00
                              * Sprint Service: Included
                              * Any Mobile, AnytimeSM: Included
                              * Sprint Navigation: Included
                              08.28.09 - Filed Chapter 7
                              10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
                              12.18.09 - Anticipating Discharge!!!
                              12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Comment

Someone was talking about Page Plus earlier and were going to try it out..They have ulimited minutes and texting for $39.99 month..
                                Anyone using this or know someone with a review.
                                I've been with Verizon for ever and cant stand paying $120. month for unlimited..
                                Page Plus is supposed to use verizon..
                                Thanks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X