Canceling Cable/Going OTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canceling Cable/Going OTA

Last we we canceled cable, put up and HDTV antenna and bought a TIVO. We've had cable or a dish for 15 years.

TIVO now works with an antenna, integrates TV Guide, and it works great. We now get 10 local stations and plug in our laptop direct to our TV to stream the shows we used to watch on cable, now for FREE over the internet.

Plus, the HD picture quality over an antenna is much better than with cable or even a dish (we've had both).

Monthly net savings, $54.
    Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
    Discharged - 2/29/08
    Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
    Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Well, technically the cable shows you watched are not "free" you still need the internet connection.

But you are correct, with the TV shows that are available over the internet, netflix has on demand movies that are streamed to you, and OTA HDTV, you can pretty much unplug the cable and satellite and not lose too much.
    Last edited by HHM; 09-19-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I would love to get rid of cable tv (TimeWanerNJ).
      But seriously do not know how.

Don't I need cable for "reception"? Plus I live in a condo and can not have a dish or stuff outside.

If any technical folks out there know how I change things here I would love to know.
      Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
      Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
      341 Meeting 01/05/2009
      Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Our ISP is coupled with Cable TV (Comcast), and it can't be split out. You first have to have at least the Basic Cable package in order to get the Internet, so we're kind of stuck.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by Flowers View Post
          I would love to get rid of cable tv (TimeWanerNJ).
          But seriously do not know how.

Don't I need cable for "reception"? Plus I live in a condo and can not have a dish or stuff outside.

If any technical folks out there know how I change things here I would love to know.
          Before getting rid of cable, first, make sure your TV is a digital set. They no longer send Analog signals over the air. Then price a digital inside (rabbit ear) antenna and purchase from Walmart (there is a reason). See what you can get off the air, then if it is acceptable, drop off the cable. If you are not happy with over the air local channels, take the antenna back to Walmart (they are great to deal with on returns). 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I started tightening the belt some time ago so the Dish was the first luxury to go....at least my TV is HD ready so I didn't need one of those pricey converter boxes but the antenna sometimes is cause for swearing (when the signal seems to go in and out every 3 minutes!)...but the kid and I discovered a used movie store down the street (it's a nice walk for us)...the movies are pretty recent and they're about 5 bucks each...the library rents a limited selection of movies for free (7 days)...so we'll usually cruise through there....and when all else fails (and the kid has stuff to do on his own) I'll play the 'mooch'....and go watch some program at my girlfiend's house (Sons of Anarchy usually) ...but...if you're going to be the 'mooch' at least bring the snacks!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoma51 View Post
              Monthly net savings, $54.
              Or $648 per year, or $3240 over 5 years. It isn't long before you are talking some real money!

I still have cable. I have the high speed internet plan through cable, and while Time Warner will split them out, cable is one of the luxuries that I still allow myself and the family. We don't watch much network TV, mostly Discovery, TLC, The History Channel, Animal Planet... and that includes the kids. You can't get them over the air. But, if OTA HD suits you, it is a great way to save some money.

On a related note, I have wanted a new Iphone. I like combining the PDA functions with a cell phone, with such a nice interface. At $70 per month for the most basic voice and data plan, that is $840 per year, or $4200 over five years! The initial price of the phone is not nearly as big of a deal as the continuing price.

I went with an Ipod Touch. This gives me all of the functions (except camera and microphone) and I always have Wifi at home and work for the internet functions. In fact, I am pretty amazed at the places that I have been able to pick up a Wifi connection. Yes, it would be nice to have the full functions of the Iphone, and someday I may still do this, but not right now. I use Vonage at home, and a tracphone for cellular coverage. Cellular phone for me runs about $7 per month, and that is pretty hard to beat.
              Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
              Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
              If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

I cancelled my Uverse service in December and am saving $96/month! Love my OTA homemade antenna that I made with a piece of wood and some hangers (search for it). Cost me under $10 to make and I get about 70+ channels now!

Comment

Satellite was one of the first things to go. We also put outside HDTV antenna. We only get 3 channels where we are located, but the cost of Direct TV had just gone totally thru the roof.
                  Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
                  341- April 28, 2010;
                  Confirmed May 25, 2010;
                  $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

We have since joined Netflix. Can't be beat for $8.99 a month.
                    Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
                    341- April 28, 2010;
                    Confirmed May 25, 2010;
                    $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

Before you cancel your cable, make sure your ISP can handle the download. We have satelite (hughesnet) and only get a certain amount of bandwidth we are allowed each month due to Fair Access Policy. We cannot download and view any movies or even view Youtube for more than a few minutes a week without exceeding the FAP. Once you do it more than twice a month, Hughesnet increases your internet fee from $65.00 a month to double automatically.

I HATE satelite, but its all that is available out in the country - no cable no DSL, nothing. Sucks. Worse yet is years ago it USED to be people went with satelite TV because of less commericals and advertising - not anymore - now its watch a show for 3 minutes, get 5 minutes or more of commercials, grrrr.

Would love to ditch the dish, but...we cant. We'd have 6 TV stations and 3 of those are PBS.

Comment

I don't have cable besides for the internet. Satellite is provided free at my apartment but the truth is that I never watch it. I'd definitely go OTA if the satellite were not free to me. I helped a relative put up an antenna recently and they recieved all sorts of channels in great quality. It only took a $35 investment for the antenna itself which I mounted right next to their old (deactivated) satellite dish.

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                        Before you cancel your cable, make sure your ISP can handle the download. We have satelite (hughesnet) and only get a certain amount of bandwidth we are allowed each month due to Fair Access Policy. We cannot download and view any movies or even view Youtube for more than a few minutes a week without exceeding the FAP. Once you do it more than twice a month, Hughesnet increases your internet fee from $65.00 a month to double automatically.

I HATE satelite, but its all that is available out in the country - no cable no DSL, nothing. Sucks. Worse yet is years ago it USED to be people went with satelite TV because of less commericals and advertising - not anymore - now its watch a show for 3 minutes, get 5 minutes or more of commercials, grrrr.

Would love to ditch the dish, but...we cant. We'd have 6 TV stations and 3 of those are PBS.
                        You might think I'm joking or full of it but have you considered going back to dialup if there are no other options such as mobile broadband available? You can get a regular local phone line where I am at from Bellsouth for about $15. There are dialup ISP providers who offer unlimited for about $10. In theory you could download stuff over the dialup all the time like torrents. You can even download youtube videos or just load them and hit pause then watch when downloaded. The automatically charging double after exceeding the UNfair Access Policy twice would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't tolerate it.

Many might think I'm nuts but I have seriously done the math on it. If you have a 56k dialup connection versus a broadband connection with a hard cap of 5 GB per month you can technically download more information over the dialup. Do the math if you don't believe me. Yes it's not so good for streaming but if you're willing to wait or do things like torrents you'll actually get more with the dialup connection.
                        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

I just recently cut mine as well because we didn't really need it. And if we were watching TV that means we weren't out doing something else more productive like walking outside or running our errands. Productivity level just went up in my household. Dare to cut the internet? It's a thought. If we needed it we could go to our local library or even starbucks.
                          Brokerage CD

Prudential Scandal

Comment

Originally posted by debtprison View Post

You might think I'm joking or full of it but have you considered going back to dialup if there are no other options such as mobile broadband available?
                            Where we are located - we dont even have dial up access - no kidding. You'd think that was the first line of internet access, but nope - we only have satellite TV and/or internet services way out here in the country - not even mobile broadband...nada - just satellite services. Looks like Area 51 in some spots with all the dish's everywhere I swear ET could be contacted at some point!

Comment

FTA (Free-to-Air) satellite anyone? ... point the dish to 97 degree west, you can catch SAT-25 having all 400+ channels, most from Middle East, Asia, Europe, and some public english/american channels FREE (24/7, 365).. provided you-know-how-D-I-Y ??

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X