A Chapter 13 or 7? Don't know what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Chapter 13 or 7? Don't know what to do

We have had one meeting with our lawyer who suggested we file for a Chapter 13. We are not late on any of our payments, loans, mortgage, etc. My husband and I went through all of expenses, $4237 a month and our income right now is $4001 a month. We are 65 and 69 years old. My husband is a realtor so income from that depends on sales. Now that question is this, after our case is looked over, even a low, $100 to $200 payment back on our credit cards will be a stretch., will Chapter 13 be the answer? Now we are really confused. Can someone give us some guidance on what to do?

I probably ask too many questions in my replies. With that in mind, it would help to have additional information to provide good advice. For example:

- Why did the attorney recommend a CH13 vs. a 7?
    - What state are you in?
    - How much equity do you have in your home, if any?
    - What is your total debt, and how is it broken down?
    - You listed your expenses. What do they include? (e.g. items that would be discharged?)

In my opinion, if you qualify for a CH7 bankruptcy, there would need to be a compelling reason to file a CH13 over a CH7, such as having non-exempt assets you would otherwise lose in a CH7, but be able to retain in a CH13. Keep in mind, there may be other options besides bankruptcy, such as a mortgage modification, refinance or even a reverse mortgage that may be an alternative to bankruptcy.

Finally, are you planning on meeting with other attorneys? (It's suggested you meet with 2-3. As much as I don't like the quality of reviews from Avvo, I found a good list of questions to ask an attorney during a bankruptcy consultation:
    The bankruptcy process is scary and the subject is so taboo that it is difficult to find guidance from those who have been there. Read on for the essential questions to ask an attorney at the first appointment in order to avoid harm and screen out inexperienced lawyers.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

1. I guess it was because we could keep our house, not really sure about that.
      2. We live in Maryland
      3. "as is" $50,000 after selling costs
      4. $35,000 in credit cars
      5. The only things that would be discharged is the credit cards

Can't do a reverse mortgage, owe to much on the house. I feel more confused now since we started this last week.

Comment

It appears that Maryland's homestead exemption is $26,000 and cannot be doubled for married couples. If you have $50k+ in equity, you would typically have to offer the difference ($50k equity - $26k exemption = $24k) in order to prevent a sale in a chapter 7. Of course, this is subject to some negotiation with the trustee and doesn't factor any wildcard exemptions.

In a chapter 13 plan, you pay non-exempt equity to your unsecured creditors over 3-5 years. I can see how a chapter 7 was ruled out by your attorney. Keep in mind, I am using your $50k estimate, which already factors selling costs. The actual amount could be much higher.

I'm wondering though, have you explored a cash out refinance to pay off the credit cards and potentially lower your overall monthly payments? Or a modification? Or downsizing to a less expensive home?

It's unclear to me if your $4237 monthly expenses include credit card payments. If they do, another option to consider is contacting the issuers or use a credit counseling agency to reduce monthly payments.

Chapter 13 isn't the worst idea, but it pains me to see a CH13 plan that only discharges $11k in debt after the plan is over. If that solves your needs, then so be it. Are the CH13 payments affordable?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X