Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

I am new to the group but not new to BK, unfortunately. I had an individual Ch7 discharged almost 20 years ago. You would have thought once would have been enough, but due to a combination of my spouse's Covid-19 unemployment and a drastic drop in household income I might be going down the BK road again because collectively our unsecured debt is beyond what we can cover with our income.

My primary income is a pension and I will be eligible for Social Security in a year (as will my spouse). I work a part-time job that pays well but the hours are inconsistent. After the unemployment benefits ended, my spouse found employment but is earning 50% less annually and the outlook for finding a better paying job at this time is bleak.

Of course this time around there are different guidelines for filing and I am concerned about meeting the means test criteria for a Ch7. The excellent BK attorney I used years ago is deceased but one of the associates who worked in the firm now has his own office, so that is who I plan to meet with for the consultation.

Any tips or recommendations you have will be appreciated.

Welcome. It sounds like you are on track. Seeing the attorney will help you know what your options are so you can make an informed decision. If you don't feel comfortable with the attorney get more than one opinion. Hopefully since the attorney had worked for a good firm he will be knowledgeable/helpful. I wish you and your husband well. Keep us updated on what the attorney says.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

I am also a second time filer (12 years ago), waiting on case closing right now. I never thought I would do it a second time, but my husband's health conditions/medical bills combined with Covid unemployment made the decision. Good luck to you both!

Comment

I'm sorry for the 2nd round of BK! I'm thinking of my first and hopefully the last one, the COVID and all of what is going on is going to drive a lot of people to BK route. I think you need to check the latest BK updates in your state, I saw some new things in CA, it does not apply to me since I do not own a house.
        I don't know about you and whether you meet the mean test, I think you should focus on the fact that your job is not stable? and the fact that your spouse pay is way less, could be something that help you meet the BK? sorry this is my first post, but have been checking the BK and didn't want to do it but it seems I have no choice. I may not need to meet the mean test as 70% of my best are business related.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X