Broken Car, exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Car, exempt?

I know the law allows for a 1 car per driver. Both of my cars currently easily fall within the $3,000 exemption.

The issue I have was with 1, I just found out needs about $1800 worth of work on, it's basically undriveable.

If I were to pick up a used car for like $1000, would I still be allowed to keep the broken one to fix up as I had the time and money to do it?
    Filed 11/24/09, Riding Through Mortgage
    341 on 1/11/10 (easy), Confirmed 4/26/10
    $150 for 36 months (22 of 36 made)

I had a guy in my 341 today (single man) had 5 vehicles. The trustee questioned it of course. He said that 2 of the cars were inoperable and needed repair, I couldn't hear what he was saying about the other three. Anyway, the trustee told him that he had to get rid of the vehicles and the money that he was paying towards insurance for the cars would have to go into the plan for creditors.

I myself had 2 vehicles (one for my son) I had to surrender my interest in the car and that money is in my plan.
    CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
    Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

This has me curious. We have one car going into our plan, but the other two, a car and truck are 15 years plus old and way paid for with high miles and lots of rust on the truck. Is having a 15 and 16 year old vehicle going to be a sticking point possibly for us?

Comment

the general rule of thumb is one vehicle per driver in the household. In Michigan teenagers didn't count. When I divorced and refiled, we had 2 vehicles. I had to surrender my interest in the one and keep the other. The trustee probably won't get much out of the vehicles but as the previous poster stated, the insurance on them can go into your DMI. Make sure you pose this question with your attorney because different trustees and districts do things differently.

Comment

We have four vehicles: three drivers in the household and the fourth vehicle is a tool of the trade for my job. The number of cars was never questioned....
          CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
          Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X