Budget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget!

I just have to say, I just worked out my spending budget for June, and am SO PROUD that I am still on track for building my emergency fund. I thought I might have blown it this past month because I got gypped a pretty penny on a service call. I was so mad! Of course I have loudly broadcast and published the results of that "service call" locally, so the Karma Fairy is unleashed on that guy.

I just tightened my belt a little more in a couple other areas for a couple of weeks, and so far ... I'm still on track!

It's like the money I "lost" this past month isn't even gone. I had to double check my math and bank balances to be sure, because I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm still kind of kicking myself for not having been so disciplined before I filed BK. There's no excuse. None. I believe I was simply overly self indulgent.

I pay my plan, my rent & utilities, my insurance(s), phone, internet, netflix, and my three dogs and I all eat very well and I am maintaining my vehicle. Yes I have to deny myself some frills, but not all. Not by any means. (Or I could indulge thoroughly, and have no emergency fund.) What I don't have is car payments, cable or satellite tv, and I have found frugal ways to maintain the hair, nails, makeup, shoe fetishes.

So I only have this to say to people who think they can't "survive" on a Chapter 13 budget. quityerwhinin. YES. YOU CAN. You just have to WANT TO badly enough, and then you have to work at making it work.

What I am really looking forward to is the day I can invest the amount of that plan payment instead of mailing it to the Trustee.

It's great to hear that you are doing so well, it really gives me some hope that we will make it!! How is the rest of your family handling it? We haven't filed yet, but I will be trying to make this work for a family of 5. I think it would be pretty easy if it were just myself and my husband. I would have no problem skimping on things to get by, but it's when you have kids who need clothing, school supplies, lab fees, field trip money... etc, etc. that's when it becomes a bit harder for most people. So...how many are there in your family?
    Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

Me... and three special needs dogs lol. You know, the youngest one, he is into agility so I have those lessons and equipment to pay for. Since he's attention deficit, if I don't give him that outlet, he eats keyboards, computer mice, shoes, gets into my lacy drawer... the agility lessons and equipment are far less expensive and less frustrating than replacing my stuff. And the older one is geriatric and also requires special equipment and supplements. She needs a ramp to get up and down the stairs. And then of course there are the usual...treats, toys, leashes, harnesses, grooming, veterinary expenses...oh and the swimming pool. Of course, they all have to have a special diet since one of them is allergic to beef and fish. And the middle one, he makes so few demands, so I have to figure out ways to spoil him too so he doesn't feel left out. Usually that means long rides in the truck and bacon.

I'm sorry...What was that you were saying about children...?

Comment

Hmmmm.....we have 2 very large labs, (1 is on meds) 2 cats, 1 birds and 3 fish, so i guess technically if we're counting the pets then we are a family of 14, lol.
        Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

I was being sarcastic sheila. My kids are grown. I do indulge the dogs, sort of. But you know... it's all in the technique lol.

The wading pool cost something like $10 lol.

I self administer their vaccines and that costs about $3.00 each, and I shop Australia for heartworm and flea prevention and that saves BIG bucks.

When my kids were growing up, I figured out short cuts and bargains too, and still managed to spoil them rotten by comparison to how I was raised. As much as I like to SPEND, I also love to get the best bargain, and I am really really good at ferreting them out. Sometimes the word NO comes in handy.

Any way you look at it, kids, dogs, whatever, you can go weeweeweewee all the way home, or you can figure out how to live within your means.

Comment

We're a 7 but we're still getting used to living on cash. A budget on 1.5 small incomes is hard! I feel like we always NEED something. I'm very proud of the $900 we've put in the savings since we filed but even some extra company over the Memorial Day weekend will make me use a little for groceries. It's always something!
            attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
            no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
            341, 05/10/2010
            discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Yeah, I find myself having to make some tough choices sometimes. Like... I almost bought a watch the other day. But I didn't buy one. Today I found myself looking at my bracelet for the umpteen millionth time to see what time it was... I reckon next month I might buy myself a watch. But see, that is one of those things..."before" I would have just bought the stupid thing on a whim. Because I wanted one. Right then. I just don't do that anymore. Even stuff that might be a "necessity" I won't drop to go buy. I stop and look around and make sure I don't already have one of those... or wait for the neighbor's garage sale and go look there first. Depends on what it is.

The Memorial Day thing for the friends? POTLUCK! And don't just call them and tell them to bring something. Tell them WHAT to bring. Oh Alice I just loved that pineapple patutti cake you made for Monica's birthday, could you please...? Phil, remember that super excellent cheesy potato thing you made for .... could you please...? Knowing fully well that PJ has a floor to ceiling pantry stocked with canned fruit....I know exactly what to ask her for! Jello and fruit salad! I'm telling you, you gotta work these things lol.

Comment

It's actually family it town for the week but I bet they run to the grocery store at least once. I'm happy to have them here.

My husband was less than happy with me that we went shoe shopping for 3 hours and I came home with nothing. So I can relate to the watch thing. It's so hard to spend money on myself!
                attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                341, 05/10/2010
                discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

I get the best shoe bargains on eBay and at local resale shops, less often at garage sales. Next choice is overstock.com and then amazon.com. You know you can shop til you drop online and not buy a thing and then - - who cares? I have a knack though for finding stuff that looks like out of the box brand new at resale shops, my size, and like $2.00. Not kidding. I think somebody around here buys stuff for me and plants it there for me to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
                    I get the best shoe bargains on eBay and at local resale shops, less often at garage sales. Next choice is overstock.com and then amazon.com. You know you can shop til you drop online and not buy a thing and then - - who cares? I have a knack though for finding stuff that looks like out of the box brand new at resale shops, my size, and like $2.00. Not kidding. I think somebody around here buys stuff for me and plants it there for me to find it.
                    I'm not wearing used shoes; used drawers neither. I'm sorry. I'll just have to do without something else.
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                      I'm not wearing used shoes; used drawers neither. I'm sorry. I'll just have to do without something else.
                      I don't think these were used. At all. Not kidding. The stuff I get a hold of looks like it was never worn. You can always tell by looking at the bottoms of them if they were worn at all. Even just walking one time across a parking lot will scuff up the bottom.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X