top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In an active Chpt 13 but maybe needing to quit my job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an active Chpt 13 but maybe needing to quit my job!

We are in an active 13. We have 31 months to go. ( Almost half way there). I am working during the school year and going to college full time. My dilema is that I will soon need to start student teaching. I will have to take a leave from my job to do this to finish my college degree. What happens while in a Chapter 13? Do they even allow me to do this, as our payment to the trustee would have to decrease?

I'm in a similar situation. I am finishing a master's program in the coming year and will likely not find a new job in my new field that pays as much as I make now. To get this degree, I will have racked up $60,000 in student loans which are a big part of the reason I'll be filing (yes, I know the student loans won't disappear, but paying on them makes it impossible for me to pay on my other debt). I asked if I would be prohibited from taking the new job. My lawyer looked at me and said, "That would be called slave labor."

Comment

I think what might happen is that your plan would have to be modified.

The only problem might be that you have a certain time , 60 months to pay back what you need to pay back (at least as much as unsecured would get if you filed a 7) to get your discharge. So if you pay back less for a time period, it would have to increase at some point so it could be done in the 60 months.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X