Buying a tv on cc before chapter 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a tv on cc before chapter 13?

i actually filed a few years ago and all is good. my friend is thinking about filing and his tv just blew up. he was wanting to know if it would be a problem to buy a tv on his best buy cc and still be able to add it to the bankruptcy. if so how long should he wait. i thought it may throw up a redflag but i told him i'd ask you guys
    Filed: 11/20/2008
    341 meeting: 12/22/2008
    Discharged: 03/10/2009

I'd say definite red flag. A TV is not considered a necessary item. If he charges it on his Best Buy cc knowing that he is planning to file, that is probably going to cause him problems. Unless he is planning on a 100% payback of unsecured creditors through his 13 maybe?
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

What he's considering is fraud. If he needs a new tv, he needs to pay cash for it.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

ok thanks
        Filed: 11/20/2008
        341 meeting: 12/22/2008
        Discharged: 03/10/2009

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
          I'd say definite red flag. A TV is not considered a necessary item. If he charges it on his Best Buy cc knowing that he is planning to file, that is probably going to cause him problems.
          I ABSOLUTELY agree big time. HEY! He is bankrupt. Like in BANKRUPT!!

Mrs. and I go down every Tuesday on streets with the garbage cans out. I have ten TV's in perfect working order. Thrown out due to wishing for LCD flat screens. Your friend is above this now. He is BANKRUPT!! Tell him to go to his land fill and look, or just ride around. I have 30 inches and down. Heavy but working. We get computers like crazy and I fix all up and give them over to those who have none.

There is no excuse for him to think about any kind of bk and then think about a television set on credit. This is called FRAUD my friend. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

At least w/ my experience all the posters are 100% correct. Tell your friend not to purchase a tv. I bought a tv(not even a very expensive 1) in July 2009. I filed 13 July 2010 and Best Buy(the exact same place your friend is looking) gave me a hard time 1 year after the fact.

Comment

Don't

I really wouldn't do it. I'd strongly suggest a lay away to get what you need. That worked well for us. That way you can get what you want and still not break any court rules.

Comment

Fraud

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD..... things like this make me angry.... Your "friend" should go to craigslist/GoodWill and get a used TV ... buying frivolous items on credit and then filing is plain wrong.... a TV is NOT a necessity......
                shameful......
                Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

I think the point was made.
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi Pigpen,

If your friend has available credit than he's probably still paying the credit cards right? Most attorneys will advise him to quit paying the credit cards once he knows he's going to file. When he does, use some of the money to buy a USED TV off Craig's List. I wouldn't go out and purchase a top of the line TV, but spending $100 - $200 in cash to replace a TV shouldn't raise and issues.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                      I ABSOLUTELY agree big time. HEY! He is bankrupt. Like in BANKRUPT!!

We get computers like crazy and I fix all up and give them over to those who have none

'Hub
                      'Hub and the Mrs. - you are GOOD PEOPLE!
                      Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                      New Job 7-2011

Comment

BK attorneys will typically NOT file a petition until it is certain that at least 90 days have passed during which no purchases or cash advances were made on a credit card. That still will not leave the debtor off the hook if it appears as though the bankruptcy was deliberately planned (they all are, really). The 90 days is to ensure that it will not be possible for creditors to be able to prove that fraud was involved. But certain purchases and spending patterns, along side of payment histories, would make it obvious that there was some funny business going on.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X