Excellent budgeting tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent budgeting tool!

Ok, you 13r's. Budgeting is not my strong suit. I have always said, "How do you budget when we don't even have any money??"

Since our 13 started 2 years ago, we have struggled with this. We have used pencil/paper and old school cash with envelopes. Then we switched to mint.com and that was nice, but didn't really help anymore than what we were doing and I ended up going back to the cash/envelopes. We seemed to be missing out on tracking about 20% of our money and it was always put into the "misc" category. Some bills were paid online and automatically deducted and we were always hit with a "Oh crap, the ___ cleared today, did we overdraw??!!"

Then, we found a trial for the you need a budget software and decided to try it for free for a week. I was amazed at the discrepencies it found and we were able to afford the $60 to purchase the full version. Since then, we have been able to save over $500 a month by using it. We were able to replace 4 tires ($700) and not kill ourselves.

The basic premise is that your bills are all paid for during the current month by last month's income. Sounds pretty easy, but we were living paycheck to paycheck-literally! With this program, Every dollar gets assigned a destination BEFORE you even get it. We did Dave Ramsey's money makeoever (which I loved) but we kept needing our $1000 emergency fund as soon as we would get it. This is so real and hands on and so doable!

It took us 3 months to have enough income for the next month expenses. But now, we have a month's worth of wiggle room and it feels great! I love looking at it everyday and seeing how much we are saving. I can actually see that our savings is growing!!

Who knew we could spend so much on food, until I discovered most of Costco purchases (grouped under food) were for basic needs like toilet paper, etc.
    I'm not into advertising for ANYONE but I wanted to share this because I wish I would have had this when we first started our 13. Going through the BK is hard enough.

flower04,
    Thanks so much for the tip, we are going to give that a try!

Comment

I am doing Dave Ramsey's FPU and this seems like an easier way to make our budget work. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hi there, can you pass along the name? I am interested but I did not see the name of the software. Thanks!!
        Stopped paying CC Feb, 2010
        Retained Attorney 02/24/2010
        Filed Ch. 13 BK 06/04/2010
        341 Meeting 07/02/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Licoriceky2 View Post
          Hi there, can you pass along the name? I am interested but I did not see the name of the software. Thanks!!
          The name of the software is You Need A Budget...lol. Fooled me too when I was first looking for it.

Comment

I think it is:

Mint.com

Comment

I use the YNAB softeware and I LOVE it. I think it works well with the DR plan (We are also taking FPU), too. I especially love all the tech support you get.
              Jen
              "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

Originally posted by mom2crazies View Post
                I use the YNAB softeware and I LOVE it. I think it works well with the DR plan (We are also taking FPU), too. I especially love all the tech support you get.
                Can you pay your bills with this software? I guess what I am asking is, do you register your banks with this?

Comment

No, it does not have a billpay feature.

But, you can export and import your register(s). (Although, I like to do everything manually.)

On the "main screen". There is a budget button to go in and do your budgeting, along with the buttons for how many accounts you want to input. There is also a reporting function from that screen as well. You can use just your checking, savings, accts, etc. Or, you can even put in your retirement accounts, or other credit accounts.

You can go to their website www.youneedabudget.com to get more information and download a free 7 day trial. They also have a lot of support forums and tutorials and then they have classes and stuff on budgeting too that are all on the web. (PS - I was still not getting it at the end of the 7 day trial and I emailed tech support and he extended it for 30 days!). They have GREAT customer service. They are also a smaller company, which I really like supporting.

(...and no I am not getting paid for this )
                  Jen
                  "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

Thanks! I am going to give it a try. Having a budget is so foreign to me. (obviously or I wouldn't be filing BK) We are doing FPU and I am finding it difficult on paper. I need a good software!

Comment

Search the web for a discount code and you can get 10-25% off the purchase price of the software! Love YNAB....
                      5 Year Countdown of Chapter 13 plan:
                      February 2011: 2 months down....only 58 to go

Comment

Also, trial used to be 7 days but due to complaints from consumers they have now changed it to a full 30 day trial!
                        5 Year Countdown of Chapter 13 plan:
                        February 2011: 2 months down....only 58 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X