Need some encouragement.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some encouragement.....

hello all, hope your day is starting out great. As you know I'm about 18 months in. I have about 25 more to go. Things so far have been rolling right along. Now, my husbands truck, (which we knew, going into this this had a really good chance of dying during this process), is on it's very last mile. My son who is a senior this year, is going to college in the fall (a community college), however he needs a car to get there, no bus where we live. And I was notified that our rent is increasing when our lease is up in May.

So, I think we are going to have to move, into a very small apartment, in order to make it to the end of the plan, and to help them both get a car. I know this must seem like a no brain-er, but we love the place we are in been here 6 years, and to think of putting 4 people in a 2 bedroom apartment, not a good time.

I guess I'm just whining this morning, pitying myself. I'm so ready for this to be OVER.

Dumb
    Filed August 09, all payments made as of July 12th, 2013.....Waiting on final audit and discharge!

Hey, things are going up. Prices for one. Look you can buy a bunch of used trucks for very little. I purchased a 93 Ford suv thing 4 X 4 for 800. I replaced trans vacuum modulator for about 200 and it runs great. For a grand you can buy better if you look longer. Don't buy new or current. Many good old beaters running well. This machine purrs.

About the apartment. Bargain with the guy. He may not rent it for months so he will have a net loss. Otherwise, the small one (if the son is going to dorm) will be fine. One BR now that would be tough.

Is your health good? If so, you have all you need. Want more money? Tithe. It will double. I took that challenge and prospered at least that amount and more. One day I sent may last ten bucks. Dropped it into a mailbox, looked down and at my feet was a 20. I could tell you more, but I'm not licensed to preach. LOL. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Any way you can amend your plan to accomodate the increase in rent? That may help you there.

As to the vehicle situation for your son - if there's a place close to home that he can walk to / bike ride to get a job (for now) that will help him to save up to purchase his own vehicle. Remember that if he's on your insurance policy with his own vehicle, your rates will increase, so be sure to account for that. Same goes for a newer vehicle for your hubby - call the agent before you purchase to see how much your rate may go up.

hope your day gets better

Comment

Thanks! My son does have a part time job and it is within walking distance, he is saving, but it's not alot. I never thought about asking for an amendment, good idea. Hub, we know nothing when it comes to cars. Any ideas, where we would begin to search for one of these great cheap trucks or cars?
        Filed August 09, all payments made as of July 12th, 2013.....Waiting on final audit and discharge!

Comment

Originally posted by dumbagain View Post
          thanks! My son does have a part time job and it is within walking distance, he is saving, but it's not alot. I never thought about asking for an amendment, good idea. hub, we know nothing when it comes to cars. Any ideas, where we would begin to search for one of these great cheap trucks or cars?

Of course a used car is always a risk, that is a given. I have yet been stuck and every used has been worth more than I paid.

Any running car is worth 1K if you only get six months out of it.

Best is, cash, find a used car from an individual as you won't have to pay tax for it up front. You might have to pay a bit when tagged. If you see one for let's say 2500, you tell the person "well I like your car, sir, but I like another like it for a lot less, would you take $1000 cash? He will say no, but perhaps $1500. Tell him then, well, I'll have to ask my son for a loan but he has only $200 and I'll have to ask him. (the guy who is selling as he too is distressed and cash poor, just may take your $1000 cash. Or worse case 1200. But this does not always work so you hit the best of 5 or 10, have a reason to leave (an incentive to sell at your price) then do this bargaining to those 5 or 10. Don't drop your 'hat' on the first one you love. There are always better ones a block away.

Drive around the neighborhood for the for sale signs on cars. If you have a cell phone call the number to have the seller come and show it. Look at tires. Pull oil stick and look at color of oil, pull trans stick the oil should be red and clear. Look at batt (it's dated), check spare tire, jack, and all. Take it for a ride or to a mechanic if you have a free or cheap one to check it out. If the guy says he has all the repair records you really struck it good as he would be a person who is detailed enough to take proper care of it. Don't be afraid to buy a car over ten years old and over 150K. These newer cars are made to last longer. Check frame for collision repair damage. If in a cold area, check for salt corrosion. Is the engine clean or greased. This tells a lot about the owner taking care of it also. Check coolant for clear green and no rust or dirt. Best I can tell you. Except, buy cheapest possible for the best of everything working. It is only a matter of shopping long enough. Buyer's lust will be a downfall so don't just buy the prettiest one you see. It could be the dog you don't want. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hub, THANK you SOOOO MUCH ((((HUG))), this was very helpful!

Comment

Nice post 'Hub

Wanted to add the following to what 'Hub has:

- Get a CarFax check on it as well before you purchase it. It can be done by the VIN number and if the seller is on the up-and-up, ask him/her to provide it to you at their cost. Cost varies from $29.99 to run 1 VIN, $34.99 for up to 10 VIN #'s, and $39.99 for unlimited VIN #'s for 1 month.

- Turn on EVERYTHING to ensure it works and then drive the car doing a variety of speeds, inclines, etc with it all running. AC, heat, radio, all vents etc. It's important to test drive in an area that has hills so that you can see how much the engine bogs down (if any) while trying to pull an incline with / without AC and heat running. Also it ensures you can listen / feel to see if it tachs higher than it should or if the tranny is slipping.

- Look around the oil pan / gaskets for any oil seepage. While some oil may be there from spilling while filling it up, if you see alot of oil around the gasket - it's probably leaking. While not uncommon when a gasket is old, it would be a cost for you.

OMG I'd better stop... I'm a car geek so I could go all day LOL!

PS. Look at the bulletin board of your local church (if you attend) - if you dont attend one, you can ask if you may look at the bulletin board to see if any vehicles are for sale. Older people tend to take better care of their cars and have very low miles. its how we purchased our used vehicle - '02 Crown Vic with 48K miles on it - and looks brand new!
              Last edited by Pandora; 02-22-2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Pandora, ((HUG)) to you too!!! More great information!!!

Comment

Another place to look for a used car or lead is your local service garage. They tend to get cars given to them because someone doesn't want to pay to get it fixed. They fix then and then resell them. They also tend to know people that are selling their cars for whatever reason. they will also know if it has other problems.
                  Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                    Nice post 'Hub

Wanted to add the following to what 'Hub has:

- Get a CarFax check on it as well before you purchase it. It can be done by the VIN number and if the seller is on the up-and-up, ask him/her to provide it to you at their cost. Cost varies from $29.99 to run 1 VIN, $34.99 for up to 10 VIN #'s, and $39.99 for unlimited VIN #'s for 1 month.

- Turn on EVERYTHING to ensure it works and then drive the car doing a variety of speeds, inclines, etc with it all running. AC, heat, radio, all vents etc. It's important to test drive in an area that has hills so that you can see how much the engine bogs down (if any) while trying to pull an incline with / without AC and heat running. Also it ensures you can listen / feel to see if it tachs higher than it should or if the tranny is slipping.

- Look around the oil pan / gaskets for any oil seepage. While some oil may be there from spilling while filling it up, if you see alot of oil around the gasket - it's probably leaking. While not uncommon when a gasket is old, it would be a cost for you.

OMG I'd better stop... I'm a car geek so I could go all day LOL!

PS. Look at the bulletin board of your local church (if you attend) - if you dont attend one, you can ask if you may look at the bulletin board to see if any vehicles are for sale. Older people tend to take better care of their cars and have very low miles. its how we purchased our used vehicle - '02 Crown Vic with 48K miles on it - and looks brand new!
                    Oh Pandora, you're so expensive. Here is a better way. Park the car on a neighbors new concrete drive for a night. If there is no oil, buy the car. LOLOL, ONLY A JOKE
                    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 02-24-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jange View Post
                      Another place to look for a used car or lead is your local service garage. They tend to get cars given to them because someone doesn't want to pay to get it fixed. They fix then and then resell them. They also tend to know people that are selling their cars for whatever reason. they will also know if it has other problems.
                      Good idea also. Did not think of that. No not a joke this time. I guess the Merlot got the best of me. LOL. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                        Oh Pandora, you're so expensive. Here is a better way. Park the car on a neighbors new concrete drive for a night. If there is no oil, buy the car. LOLOL, ONLY A JOKE
                        LOL 'Hub - well.. that would be easier now wouldnt it?! (thank God I have a gravel drive!)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X