Creditor didn't file claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditor didn't file claim

I'm 99% sure this question has been asked about a million or so times, but I can't find any posts about it. Sorry if this is a common repetitive question...

I filed ch 13 in April and was just recently confirmed on July 21st. I'm looking at the 13datacenter.com info about all the claims. The majority of my bk consisted of unsecured credit, with one being about $17k. That one creditor did not seem to file a claim as it still says $0.00 under the Claim Amount column.

One of my creditors filed their claim for the $25 I owed them... haha... but why would that one creditor not claim for their $17k?

I just want to make sure they can't come out later, after my 60 payments are paid and I'm discharged, and expect payment. I'm green on all bankruptcy rules, but I'm learning!
    4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
    6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
    7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Panda, I ask the same question too...but, I guess as Pandora and others have said, it doesn't really matter, it doesn't (for most people) change how much you have to pay. If they wind up not filing a claim by the claims bar date, then...they're "sol." When you get your discharge, that too will be gone!!!

Comment

If you are in a 100% plan it could make a big difference in how much you pay back and/or how many months.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep75 View Post
        if you are in a 100% plan it could make a big difference in how much you pay back and/or how many months.
        right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeep75 View Post
          If you are in a 100% plan it could make a big difference in how much you pay back and/or how many months.
          That's not really what I'm asking. I just don't want the creditor that I owe $17,000 to to come back after my 5 years is up and say, "Oh by the way, you still owe us $17,000". I think I remember someone saying that if they don't file a claim that's their problem, but I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be MY problem too some day. It surprises me they didn't make a claim because they're the creditor that I owe the most $$$ to.
          6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
          7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

Nope, they cannot do that.

Comment

And, by the way, I'm not sure that I trust 13datacenter's info. They're saying my "Percentage To Unsecured
              Or Unsecured Plan Base" is 0%. I know that's not right.
              6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
              7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

Pacer is probably a better place to check for the claims. Have you passed the last date for them to file? As long as they were on your list, then it is their problem if they don't file. As long as you are discharged at the end, they cannot come back after you.
                Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Some of my unsecured creditors, who I listed, chose not to file, also. The amounts varied between $100 to $18,000. I believe they cannot do anything once past the claims bar date.

There was also a secured loan that was against my business for about $50,000, that I had listed to be a "priority" creditor. I wasn't sure if I had accidentally co-signed something with my now deceased father. (I tried to list everybody, even if I wasn't fully certain.) That particular bank has not filed a claim.

My plan was confirmed May of this year. On 13datacenter my plan base read 0% until distribution started last month. Now my plan base percentage and amount matches what was stated in my confirmation letter.

I don't believe anybody that was listed, can come back after a plan is discharged.

Comment

Panda, sometimes creditors just don't file a claim. Many 13's fail and if it does they can still come back to you, but as long as you are successfully discharged they are SOL. My largest creditor did not file a claim either, my 2nd mortgage which is being stripped and that was $45,000! And I'm at 74% payback so they would have eventually gotten the majority of their money had they filed a claim...too bad for them!
                    Filed Chapter 13 with lien strip on 2-28-11 * 341 held on 3-30-11 * First confirmation hearing held 4-20-11, continued until 5-25-11, continued until 6-29-11, continued until 8-10-11. Plan finally confirmed on 8-10-11!!!

Comment

Many creditors do not file claims, for whatever reason......

You don't care if they file a claim or not. Provided they are listed, you have done your job and given them an opportunity to participate in your bankruptcy. If they choose not to do so, it is their loss.

You're covered, and if your bk successfully discharges, then the debt is discharged.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Thanks guys! I am not re-assured
                        6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
                        7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

Originally posted by nsupanda View Post
                          Thanks guys! I am not re-assured
                          And why not?
                          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I think nsupanda meant "now"!

Comment

LOL! I meant "now" sorry haha
                              6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
                              7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X