Getting a job after filing for bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a job after filing for bankruptcy

Has anyone tried getting a different job after filing for bankruptcy? were you hired? were you ever NOT called back after nailing the interview? were you ever terminated by your current employer, assuming they found out you filed for bankruptcy?

I will at some point get another job and I am wondering about this, I know that you cannot be discriminated on for filing for bankruptcy, but an employer can simply give you a different reason as to why they are not hiring you when in fact it may be because you have filed for bankruptcy. It's a thought that has been lingering in my mind. Can someone please share any experiences regarding this topic?

Although I didn't take it, I was offered another job after filing bankruptcy two years into a five year plan. I think it's illegal for an employer to fire you because of a BK... not 100% positive of that, but pretty sure.

Comment

From what I understand, a BK on your record is only an issue if the job is financial in nature. Many states have made this a law.

I'll relate my own recent experience for what it's worth...your mileage may vary. I was just hired by Boeing for an engineering job, and the BK was never brought up. I actually spoke to the company conducting my background investigation, and asked them if they run a credit check. I was told that they do not, and that all they do is a SSN trace to basically verify your identity. Hope this helps.

Comment

greenthinker/bpokey,

thanks a lot for reading and replying to my post!

Comment

I got a wonderful new job about a year into my BK.... They ran a background check etc. Once the job was offered to me I did disclose my 13 to my immediate manager, and it was no problem.. the company (they are a major corp) had no issue with a 13, especially it is seen as taking responsibility for the debt that I incurred. The nature of my business involves travel and it was difficult to get Amex card (I was of course turned down... no surprise), The company was able to get one for me.
          Good luck to you!
          Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X