Almost done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost done!

I have been monitoring my case for the last month very closely. We filed back in November 30, 2006. Confirmation was on April 2, 2007. My attorney said that in Ohio that the case doesn't really start until the case is confirmed even though we filed in 2006. We were making payments on the case from the time of filing and still are making payments. However, almost all of our claims are nearly paid off! I have been watching the balance on hand and what is still owed to creditors. I know we have close to $316 in the balance on hand and another was just paid out today from my husband's check. Which means there will be around $569 on hand next week. We only owe around $796 to all creditors. I'm pretty sure that means that our next payment will be our last! My husband is paid weekly.

I have already contacted my attorney but I'm sure she's on vacation this week. She's a very reliable lawyer and a former trustee herself so she's probably
    aware of what is happening with our case. I have already finished the final counseling course and have sent it to my lawyer.
    It's been a real battle at time financially especially when our cars went bad. We had to incur debt and purchase a new car 3 years ago. Last year our old beater car broke down when the oil pan cracked and the engine blew. We had to take our security deposit from our old rental and buy another beater car.

What will be the next step in this adventure called a chapter 13? Should I ask my attorney to file something with the trustee asking that the garnishment order be removed? I'm trying to keep on top of this case. I have been very proactive in the case and am now looking forward to the discharge and be able to move into a decent home rental next year! Thanks for any help.

Contact your attorney and ask her to contact trustee for a case closing review. That's what our attorney sent to our trustee. Our attorney told us it could take a while to get wage garnishment stopped. So far we have paid over about $1,500.00...so we are just waiting to get the wage garnishment stopped!! It is a long process...so you will have to be patient...and more patient..LOL!! You will get any money back that you have over paid to trustee... Congrats on getting through this!!!

Comment

Congrats on almost being done! I am glad I have to mail in my payments instead of having the wage garnishment. In my confirmed plan it spells it all out for me. I know exactly when my last payment will be. It must be so frustrating to know that you are over paying and can probably use that money like right now for so many other things.

Comment

Im in Ohio..Southern District..and they just stopped them on their own. They actually stopped them as soon as we made the last payment...we didn't have to contact anyone. Good luck!
        $124,000 unsecured debt
        $700 a month for 36 months.
        Case completed 6/15/12, waiting on papers!

Comment

Originally posted by rpg1977 View Post
          Im in Ohio..Southern District..and they just stopped them on their own. They actually stopped them as soon as we made the last payment...we didn't have to contact anyone. Good luck!
          rpg1977,

I was looking at the info in your signature line. I'm just starting the process, but my debt is about where yours was, but my monthly payments are $825 for 5 yrs! I'm so jealous of you and wish I could get the bankruptcy completed in 3 yrs time.

Comment

It actually took more than 5 years for my case! We started the process on 11/30/06. Started making payments on 12/06/06. My first attorney made huge errors on my case. He had use increase our withholding allowances on our federal taxes. The increase meant less money was being taken out for federal taxes.

Our case was confirmed on the higher allowances which royally messed up our 2007 federal taxes. We ended up owing close to $7000 for that year. I tried to stop him from confirming our case in April that year but the attorney didn't listen to us. I was working when we filed our case. I quit a month later because I had injured my arm at work and could no longer work. So that meant that we had less money from wages.

I ended firing the first attorney and hired my current attorney. She immediately filed an emergency modification to not include my income and to lower the withholding allowances for the federal taxes. The plan was lower by nearly $110 a week which meant we could live! We ended up owing again for 2008 another $3000! because the case wasn't modified until July 2008. So that meant that our case claim included the nearly $12000 to the IRS! Which also meant that it would take another 10 months to pay off our case. We should have been finished in October 2011.

That's why I stress that people get a good attorney and be proactive with their case. We only owe another $90!!!! to the claim which should be paid off with my husband's next check!!!!!!!!!! It's been a hard uphill battle with this case and I'm glad it's almost over! Between the IRS mess and 2 cars breaking down I'm ready to be released from this bankruptcy!

The sad part is that we don't own a home or any real property. The case had to be filed because of credit card debit from 10 years ago! My husband lost his job in 2002 and wasn't able to keep up with his payments. We weren't married at the time. In Ohio the statutes of limitations is 15 years for some reason.

In my home state of PA a creditor can't sue for civil debt. Also, in 2005 congress decided that anyone over a median income had to now file chapter 13. We just missed the median for a chapter 7 and it was because of my income by $500! It's been a battle, but will be worth it in the end.

My credit score has risen by 110 pts! already and we aren't discharged yet. Best of luck to you. Hopefully it will be worth it for you also. Best wishes.
            Last edited by AngelinaCat; 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM. Reason: make post easier to read.

Comment

I am also in the southern district in Ohio, almost finished too. We filed in September of 2007, but didn't get confirmed until Jan 2008 so have 6 or so payments left, but the end is finally in sight! We had to do a modification when my husband went on disability, and had both cars die on us during the 5 years we've been at it, but am so glad we will finally be debt-free (well, except for mortgage and student loans) next year! Congrats on being in the home-stretch!
              Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
              Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X