Unknown debts not listed on BK petition, Ch 7 discharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown debts not listed on BK petition, Ch 7 discharged

I filed Ch 7 last year, and had everything discharged. However, today I received a collection notice from some attorney's office listing debts I was unaware of/forgotten about. They were not listed in my petition, and these debts are over 13 years old. They did not show up on my 3-bureau credit report when filing my petition. Not sure what to do about this. Why did they wait all this time before turning this in for collection? Can they collect on this? Any help is appreciated!

Send a Cease and Desist letter to this collector--probably a junk debt buyer (JDB) along with a copy of your Discharge Order. Send courtesy copies to your judge and attorney. On the one to the JDB, make it certified mail with Return Receipt, where the receiving party has to sign for it.

We had this happen to us while in the midst of our CH7, where AT&T took over our telephone provider, where we had unlimited long distance. Because of the Automatic Stay, AT&T could not notify us. Once we were discharged, we were dogged by AT&T and every JDB they sold it to, wanting $565.00. We did the above with every single one of them, and they eventually went away.

It's a pain, but give them pain in return!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X