Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 - Inheritance Question

Hello!

Well, I am considering filing Chapter 7. My father recently passed and willed his home to me - the home has a mortgage with a $17,000 balance. The home is in terrible shape. I contacted a real estate agent about selling it and after viewing the home and the area I was told that I MAY break even IF it sold.

Well, I hate the idea of losing the home if there is anyway to save it. So in researching chapter 7 (which I intended to file 7 or 13 anyway) I'm wondering if the exemptions in Alabama would help me at all. I am married and we would be filing jointly. The home is not our primary residence. Does anyone have any idea how this all could play out?

First of all, sorry to hear about your father's passing.

I don't have an immediate suggestion, but it may help if we had a better understanding of your situation:
    • Do you own your primary residence?
    • What do you want to do with the property you inherited, rent it out? If that's the case, are there repairs that need to be done to bring it to a rent able condition? If you were to get a loan for the repairs, would the equity no longer be a concern?
    • Would you consider living in the house your inherited?
    • Did the agent tell you how much the house is worth? This amount minus $17k is the equity that's in question.
    • You mentioned you were considering CH7 or CH13. Is there a reason you were considering CH13 (e.g. in order to retain property)?

In Alabama it appears that you must use state exemptions, and have a $15k homestead exemption, doubled if you are married, and a $7,500 wildcard exemption, doubled if married. Keep in mind I am not an attorney, and I'm assuming you can use the wildcard exemption toward 2nd homes. The text reads as a wildcard toward personal property, not real property, so this is questionable. Before doing anything (e.g. getting an loan to make repairs), I would discuss this situation with a few Alabama bankruptcy attorneys. Many offer initial consultations for free.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X