top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to stop paying the bills in anticipation of filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to stop paying the bills in anticipation of filing?

I just received a packet of information from my lawyer including BK preparation documets, retainer agreement, etc.

My question is this. When do I stop making payments to credit card companies? Now, or should I wait.

Thanks,
    John

When do you plan to file?

Everyone here says you stop paying the credit cards as soon as you are 100% sure you are going to file. If your decision is made and there is no other option, quit paying them now and use that money for necessities.

Comment

I am having to deal with the same thing. The lawyer says it will take 2 months for him to file. I never anticipated it taking that long just to file. It's a chapter 13. My credit cards are just now becoming past due for the first time ever. The lawyer says that if the creditors call, I should tell them I am filing and give them his name and number. I guess that is better than not answering the phone or answering and telling them I cant pay anything, but I dread the calls.

Comment

I dread the calls as well. But I need to keep the house current on payments, insurance, car payment, home owners dues, etc. We plan on filing BK 7

Comment

Originally posted by Chrysalis View Post
          When do you plan to file?

Everyone here says you stop paying the credit cards as soon as you are 100% sure you are going to file. If your decision is made and there is no other option, quit paying them now and use that money for necessities.
          I'm thinking of having the lawyer officially file, after using the tax refund on necessities. At least this is my thinking for now. Our dishwasher just went out, so we are having a new one coming later this week. I believe I cant file for 90 days after getting this bigger purchase.

Comment

Are you paying for your dishwasher with your tax refund or with credit? If you are paying with your own cash -- I think there would be no need to wait for 90 days.

Comment

I had to use credit chrysalis. Great name btw!

Comment

Why thank you, John. That username pretty much sums up where I'm at right now.

In that case, having to use credit, then yes -- waiting the 90 days to file would be wise. I believe the number I've seen people say here is anything over $750 could likely be questioned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We have a similar situation (although we are still very much in limbo trying to decide if we can even qualify for a chapter 7 or not). We were RIGHT in the middle of replacing a shower due to a leak & mold issue, when my husband came home and dropped bad job news on me. We were already trying to do it as cheaply as possible & having a buddy do it as a side job. Well, we HAD to finish the darn shower. Couldn't just leave the project hanging where it was. We had used a store card to do it -- one we had not used for quite awhile and DID have a zero balance. Our total charged was ~700 and our attorney did not seem too concerned about that. We have an explanation, if it comes down to it.

Comment

Well I think even though I might meet with the attorney soon, they will wait to file until 90 days past the purchase last week for the dishwasher

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X