Just like the name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just like the name

I woke up this morning and not having one of those happy its almost over moments. I am scared! Was anyone scared? I feel like that I am being watched with every move I make, buying Christmas presents, groceries, and gas... We have 2 new cars but if I surrender one it puts us in chapter 13 my lawyer said don't sign anything that we can surrender it later, but he has been wrong before. He is an alternate trustee yet I think he more like an alternate lawyer. Our 341 meeting is next Friday... after that what happens and when do I know that they show us with no distributions? (not sure on the right word there.) Thanks for the venting time!
    Filing January 08.

When a mistake becomes a lesson was it really a mistake?

First of all take a deep breath and relax. It's scary when you don't know what to expect but it's usually not as bad as you thought it would be.

It's okay to buy groceries, gas and Christmas presents. What you do after you file is irrelevant to your case.

After your 341 meeting the trustee will decide if your case is "no distribution" case. I think he has 30 days to decide this but in my case it was declared "no distribution" 2 days after.

You just wait out the next 60 days until your case is discharged.

Good luck!
    Filed Ch 7 pro se - 10/03/07
    341 Meeting - 11/20/07 (No Distribution)
    Discharged & Closed - 01/22/08 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I agree, unless you get a job that makes lots of extra money or you move and something changes (because he'll ask at your meeting if there have been any changes) you should be ok. Just wait it out, our "no distribution" was filed just a few days after our meeting as well.

I'm no expert about surrendering vehicles but I'm sure others will chime in regarding whether or not you can surrender your vehicle later. Don't worry, I'm sure you just have the jitters. Just occupy your mind with other things until the 60 days is up. If you keep thinking about it, it will come slower than retirement.
      Sarah H Owosso, MI
      WE DID IT!! PRO SE
      Filed 7/30/07 341 meeting 9/20/07 60 DAY CLUB 11/19/07!!! :yahoo::yahoo:
      DISCHARGED!!! 11-26-07:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: CLOSED 12-06-07 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by rilbrianne View Post
        I'm no expert about surrendering vehicles but I'm sure others will chime in regarding whether or not you can surrender your vehicle later.
        The vehicle can be surrendered later if no reaffirmation has been filed (before the discharge). Then, this is considered a "Ride Through" where the debtor keeps the proerty and continues to pay the monthly payments, however the vehicle can be surrendered at any time. The "Ride Trhough" was allowed under the old BK law and under the new BK law, this is no longer an option. On the other hand, some lenders do not finish or require the reaffirmation, therefore it's a "Ride Through" and this is probably what many BK attorneys are counting on.
        Last edited by BassBoy; 11-28-2007, 05:06 AM.
        Bankruptcy History:
        Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
        Discharged - 02/16/2006
        Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X