top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can medical practices refuse treatment if you file on their bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We plan to file on our medical bills, but I am 17 weeks pregnant and wonder if they can refuse to treat me? (I now have the medical card too if that makes any difference)

Originally posted by marcie26 View Post
    We plan to file on our medical bills, but I am 17 weeks pregnant and wonder if they can refuse to treat me? (I now have the medical card too if that makes any difference)
    From what I understand, the individual doctor can refuse to treat you. If you go to the ER and you bked a bill with them, I think it's highly unlikely that they'd refuse to treat you being an ER.
    Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
    341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
    Last day for objections: 7-14-08
    Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

My husband was refused treatment of his hernia because we were honest and told the provider that we had filed BK. We also could not pay the co-pay that day because 'Hub's SS wouldn't come in until later in the week. Well, the doctor refused to se him, since he is affiliated with a private for-profit hospital and if we could not meet his co-pay, there was no way we could meet the hospital's co-pays. We were told that we either had to present ourselves at the emergency room if the hernia became a problem, or that our family doctor should schedule us with a hospital that will take 'indigents'. Ain't that nice!

When we told our family doctor all this, he said to get a hernia truss and wait until 'Hub's 65th b'day and is on Medicare. We were told: "Then they HAVE to take you." 'Hub will be 65 in about 9 months....
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        My husband was refused treatment of his hernia because we were honest and told the provider that we had filed BK. We also could not pay the co-pay that day because 'Hub's SS wouldn't come in until later in the week. Well, the doctor refused to se him, since he is affiliated with a private for-profit hospital and if we could not meet his co-pay, there was no way we could meet the hospital's co-pays. We were told that we either had to present ourselves at the emergency room if the hernia became a problem, or that our family doctor should schedule us with a hospital that will take 'indigents'. Ain't that nice!

When we told our family doctor all this, he said to get a hernia truss and wait until 'Hub's 65th b'day and is on Medicare. We were told: "Then they HAVE to take you." 'Hub will be 65 in about 9 months....
        That's horrible! Best of Luck to your guys!
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

wow. At times like that, I would prefer to live in Canada or other country that provides care to 100% of their population

Comment

Thanks Liz. We're making the best of it. So far he is doing okay with the truss.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJay View Post
              wow. At times like that, I would prefer to live in Canada or other country that provides care to 100% of their population
              yeah, maybe. But my understanding is that there is actually a waiting list for non-emergent surgery. IOW, Hub might still be waiting for his surgery as it isn't an emergency unless it is strangulated.
              Last edited by arkienurse; 07-21-2008, 01:39 PM.
              Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
              Plan approved- 7/11/05
              Date discharged--10-12-2007
              Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

I wouldn't...I have a friend that lives in Canada and their paycheck is 50% taxes to pay for their "free" healthcare.

He needed cancer treatment and had to be on the waiting list...4 months out.
                Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
                341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
                Last day for objections: 7-14-08
                Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

Originally posted by Stilltheone View Post
                  I wouldn't...I have a friend that lives in Canada and their paycheck is 50% taxes to pay for their "free" healthcare.

He needed cancer treatment and had to be on the waiting list...4 months out.
                  'Hub is a prostate cancer survivor, 10-16-2004. While prostate cancer, as a general rule is slow delveloping, 'Hub's was not. If he had to be on a 4 month waiting list, I doubt he would be with us today.

Comment

Well said JayJay...with the US being one the the 'richest' countries, it just makes you wonder....okay, I'll lay off the Michael Moore videos (but they are only .99 to rent!) and that's all I can afford!
                    Last edited by liz417; 07-21-2008, 03:04 PM.
                    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

*If you are in the US*

Doctors in a private practice Yes

Hospital ER Absolutely not.

Under a federal law EMTALA a hospital must provide a patient with an appropriate medical screening, necessary stabilization and a transfer to an appropriate facility to care for whatever emergency condition might exist.

Under title H of the statue you will find this

(h) No delay in examination or treatment
                      A participating hospital may not delay provision of an appropriate medical screening examination required under subsection (a) of this section or further medical examination and treatment required under subsection (b) of this section in order to inquire about the individual’s method of payment or insurance status.

you can find the statute in its entirety at

pmed8
                      Filed Chapter 13 1/30/2008 Converted to Chapter 7 5/30/2008
                      DISCHARGED 9/15/08
                      Closed on new home 1/25/2012

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                        'Hub is a prostate cancer survivor, 10-16-2004. While prostate cancer, as a general rule is slow delveloping, 'Hub's was not. If he had to be on a 4 month waiting list, I doubt he would be with us today.

My husband is also a prostate cancer survivor - diagnosed in January 2005 and surgery in March 2005. He is doing very well so far. He had the surgery under civilian insurance, but it ran out and he found out he could go VA, so follow-up has not been as close as I wish, but he has had good treatment at the VA - in many ways better than civilian facilities.
                        Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
                        341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
                        Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
                        Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Just because you include a debt in a 7 and its discharged, it doesn't mean you CAN'T pay it.

One thing you could try would be to communicate with the creditor and let them know that you have to file a 7, NOT BECAUSE OF THEM, and even though you have to list them, you still want to pay them what you owe.

A 7 discharge means that you are not responsible for the debt, but if you want to pay it, there is nothing that prevents you from doing so.
                            I do not provide legal advice. All I do here is give my two cents as an opinion and at least share some of the facts that I know. Attorneys can provide legal advice, so go ask them or hire one.

Comment

Originally posted by CH33 Paralegal View Post
                              Just because you include a debt in a 7 and its discharged, it doesn't mean you CAN'T pay it.

One thing you could try would be to communicate with the creditor and let them know that you have to file a 7, NOT BECAUSE OF THEM, and even though you have to list them, you still want to pay them what you owe.

A 7 discharge means that you are not responsible for the debt, but if you want to pay it, there is nothing that prevents you from doing so.

ITA! This is exactly what I did with my OB/GYN. We BK'd a few months after the birth of my last son and I wanted to keep a good standing with them as good OB's are difficult to find. I just paid off my balance with them and all is well. They were very understanding. Good Luck!
                              Filed: 3/12/08
                              341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                              Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X