Schedule J questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule J questions

What type of proof do you need for schedule J?

I currently live with my parents and pay cash rent directly to them. I've been told by a couple of fellow BK forum members that it is probably best to get a notorized document that states what I pay on a monthly basis to my parents. This is in the works and should not be a problem.

How do I prove the following expenses?

food
    clothing
    laundry
    transportation - I currently drive my girlfriends truck which eats up gas, probly like $300 - $400 a month in gas alone. I also pay the insurance for the myself and the truck

I am currently behind on my student loan payments, but I know that it is going to be at least $500 a month that I will have to pay after the bankruptcy. Do I include this on the schedule J? If so, where?

Thanks!
    Filed 10.23.08 - Chapter 7 Pro Se
    341 meeting 12.23.08

Aaron, you really shouldn't have to worry about proving anything on Schedule J, provided that it is more or less reasonable for your situation. If you are a cash only kind of guy (which isn't a bad thing at all! ) then just start keeping receipts; by the time your 341 rolls around you should have a good set to show the trustee as an example, should it ever be needed... and it usually isn't. It only comes into question if it is extreme based on other information you've filed (like, you make $500 a week but you spend $1000 a month on food). It IS possible that you could get the much-feared but rarely encountered overzealous trustee who wants everything but your pants size, but even if you do, you can't produce receipts that you don't have. If you're concerned, just start keeping them now. You can request a receipt for everything from ATM withdrawals to drive-through food... keep them in your pocket and at the end of every day, throw them in a box you have just for them. That way you'll have them if you ever need them, all in one pile.

I don't know if you've actually looked at Schedule J, but there is an "Other" line with room to explain, if non-dischargeable debt isn't otherwise listed (I can't remember off the top of my head, sorry)... I suggest you make good use of it.
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Can you start paying your rent with money orders? It's a bit of a pain to go get them but you would then have proof.

TS

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X