Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$350K Debt on Cards. Need tips.

Hello everyone,

I have around $400K in Credit cards,credit lines and department store credit limits. I owe around $360K half of the debt is on Business credit cards and credit lines. I also have 2 rental properties that I am losing $500 a month on because I cant go up any more on the rent. Now the Credit debt has incurred over the last 5 years except for 9-12 months I incurred about $125K. I tried a new business didn't work I got depressed and just started spending and depositing checks in banks and withdrawing cash and just spending. Also I was self employed before my new venture but only showed $6k on my 07 returns. I have never been late and still have a 760 credit score, but I cant keep paying everything. I have not charged anything on my cards for 9 months and have been paying the minimum payments on all of them.I have no income and am not working right now. I live in a house that is in my sisters name. I have a car that owe $14k on but worth $16k maybe.

Any tips or advise? Should I file now? Are they going to question my high debt?
    May your ups and downs be in bed.

Hey Ronnie and welcome. Go and talk to a few attorneys and see what your options are. Do not use any of your credit cards. Thats good that you haven't. See what the attornies say, weather you can file a 7. I wish you luck. We are filing in a few days. This is the best thing that you can do.

This is a great forum. I have received a wealth of information from alot of people here. Goodluck.

Comment

Hi,

Yes I did a phone consultation with atty and he said I qualified and do not worry about it.The way I am however is I like to triple check and educate my self much as possible before making a move like that.

Comment

You should definitely consult several attorney's. There are many people who have high debt, so I don't think they'll question it based on that. They usually question high debt if things don't add up or seems fishy.

I agree, this is a great forum with so many supportive and knowledgeable people! Good luck.
        Filed Chapter 7: 8/13/08
        341 Meeting: 9/15/08
        Last Day To File Objections: 11/14/08
        Discharged & Closed: 11/18/08

Comment

Ron
          It’s only a matter of time until you slip up on one of those cards and forget a payment. Then your FICO will tank and the interest rate on all the cards will go to the MAX. like the PO are saying go get a couple of free consults from BK lawyers and see what your options are. Do some reading here there is a ton of information here.

PS my debt was about the same as your's is
          Chapter 7 07/30/2008
          341 09/17/2008
          Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by ronniej View Post
            Hello everyone,

I have around $400K in Credit cards,credit lines and department store credit limits. I owe around $360K half of the debt is on Business credit cards and credit lines. I also have 2 rental properties that I am losing $500 a month on because I cant go up any more on the rent. Now the Credit debt has incurred over the last 5 years except for 9-12 months I incurred about $125K. I tried a new business didn't work I got depressed and just started spending and depositing checks in banks and withdrawing cash and just spending. Also I was self employed before my new venture but only showed $6k on my 07 returns. I have never been late and still have a 760 credit score, but I cant keep paying everything. I have not charged anything on my cards for 9 months and have been paying the minimum payments on all of them.I have no income and am not working right now. I live in a house that is in my sisters name. I have a car that owe $14k on but worth $16k maybe.

Any tips or advise? Should I file now? Are they going to question my high debt?
            Besides finding a good attorney you should be certain that all this money is accounted for. With this much debt especially 125k over a 9-12 month period you may need to account for where it went or at least have some sort of proof of where it went in case it becomes an issue.

IMO I think you should work on this first before you even think about filing.
            Last edited by banca rotta; 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM.
            The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
              Besides finding a good attorney you should be certain that all this money is accounted for. With this much debt especially 125k over a 9-12 month period you may need to account for where it went or at least have some sort of proof of where it went in case it becomes an issue.

IMO I think you should work on this first before you even think about filing.
              Why would it become an issue?
              Chapter 7 07/30/2008
              341 09/17/2008
              Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Hi Tew,

Yes I have been reading for weeks now. I have learned a lot.I think I will have no problems getting discharged.

Comment

yeah except what did you buy with 125k? Will your exemptions cover whatever you bought? I tend to agree with Banca here. Your debt is really high. You need to have all your stuff covered before being scrutinized by the trustee.
                  Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                  341 July 1, 2008
                  Discharged September 4, 2008
                  Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

The 125K is about 10 Months old now.This is what I did with it, please respond with your opinion.

One of my tenants left and I had to spend 15K fixing the property up. I wrote checks form my cards for about 50K and spent money from there to fix it up and to keep paying my other bills and credit cards bills. Then I took for advances of about another 75K to keep on trying to keep up and start a online business. I have about 7K a month in bills and wasn't making any income.

I purchased inventory and started selling on eBay, but was only making $500 a month profit and have about 10K inventory. I also have about 8K in the bank.

So thats the story what should I do?

Comment

Also I forgot to mention. I really lived above my means the past 6 years. I partied a lot almost got married I lost 30K on that alone.

Very poor money management.That's it. I messed up I need a fresh start.

Till now I pay every payment about 35 monthly bills and never been late on any still have a high credit score.

Comment

When did you take the advances, this might could be considered income?

The house you live in, has it ever been in your name?
                        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by ronniej View Post
                          The 125K is about 10 Months old now.This is what I did with it, please respond with your opinion.

One of my tenants left and I had to spend 15K fixing the property up. I wrote checks form my cards for about 50K and spent money from there to fix it up and to keep paying my other bills and credit cards bills. Then I took for advances of about another 75K to keep on trying to keep up and start a online business. I have about 7K a month in bills and wasn't making any income.

I purchased inventory and started selling on eBay, but was only making $500 a month profit and have about 10K inventory. I also have about 8K in the bank.

So thats the story what should I do?

You originaly stated that you "were withdrawing cash and just spending it". If you took a lot of cash out of the bank and were spending it you may need proof. of exactly what it was spent on.

A few hundred a year ago may not matter. If you withdrew several thousand even a year or 2 ago and the US Trustee happens to ask for a few years of documentation you will have to explain it. It may or may not happen but you need to be able to explain it if it does.

Keep searching this forum and you will see some posters that lost thousands in gambling and couldn't explain to the trustee where it went.
                          The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

The house I live in is in my sisters name and it has never been in my name.

I pay everything little bill for it though.

So basically if you lost money gambling and just spent cash a lot of places and there is no way of proving it your out of luck and you don't get a fresh start?

Is this correct?

Comment

Well - start by finding out what your state exemptions are, by doing the means test ect. And start collecting all your documentation for where that money went. Some trustees ask for cc statements, others don't. I would wait until at least a year out from your last charge or longer if you can.
                              Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                              341 July 1, 2008
                              Discharged September 4, 2008
                              Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X