341 report! Can breathe now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 report! Can breathe now!

Whew! I'm home from my 341 meeting which was at 2:30 today in Los Angeles. I was having heart palpitations over this. I feel like I'm on cloud nine now that it's over! Stopped for frozen yogurt on the way home (highly recommended!)

Here's my experience of the days events:

I parked in a lot across the street ($12) and went over to the bankruptcy court building. The building is to the right of a food court. I spotted a Godiva chocolate store and made a beeline. Went into the building and there are some white frosted doors to the left labeled U.S. trustee (or something). Walked through those doors and there was a large waiting room. I was an hour and a half early. I listened as attorneys called out names. My attorney wasn't actually there, she had someone else there to represent me. He was representing a lot of others as well, which was fine.

I watched as people went into the "court room" (more like a conference room). My lawyer had told me to go into the room #101 and get a green pamphlet from the back wall. The whole scene looked very casual-I wasn't sure if I could enter the official "court room" yet, but I did and it was fine. Sat in the back-my meeting was not for an hour and a half. It was a large room with about 200 chairs. Like I said, more like a hotel conference room vs. what I imagined (a scary court room).

The trustee stood up and introduced himself and his purpose-to find assets that could be distributed to creditors. There was stacks and stacks of cases. He called the first couple. The owned two properties, one worth $500k and one worth $300k and four cars. They also had owned and sold businesses and had a bunch of bank accounts. He asked them a lot of questions about their assets. Still, it only lasted about 15 minutes.

Then over the next hour, I listened to 10 cases. Eight of the ten took 3 minutes, with standard yes/no questions (I've posted the yes/no's below). The two cases that took longer w/ more questions were the ones where people owned property. But even then, the trustee just asked how much the property was worth now and when and how much did they originally purchase it for.

Then it was 2:30, I hung around in the lobby to hear my name when called by the lawyer. He just flipped through the papers and ask me a few questions. I went back into the conference/courtroom and noticed there's a schedule of cases listed on the wall above the green pamphlets. I saw I was 4th in line. Heart palpitations started. I did some deep breathing.

I was nervous because my boyfriend had paid off a joint credit card I had with my father. I was worried this would come up as a preferential payment and the trustee would ask me about it, even though I didn't pay it. Per suggestions on this board I did wait 90 days to file after that payment was made.

My name was called and I calmly went up and sat at the table with the trustee. We were at eye level. Again, not like I had imagined. I was calm and kept thinking about my freedom from this burden and how much my life was going to change. I took the oath and calmly answered the questions, all the standard yes/no. THANK GOD. Trustee was friendly and smiled here and there throughout all the cases. He seemed a little bored asking the SAME questions over and over. He said okay, thanks. I stood up. My lawyer handed me back my tax return and patted me on the shoulder and said, you're fine, everything is done, not to worry (something to that effect). The whole thing took about 45 seconds. And I walked out with tears in my eyes.

I felt SO relieved. Took 6th street to the 710 freeway back to Long Beach to avoid traffic (no traffic at 3pm on the 710!)

I'd recommend anyone who is really nervous go and sit in on a hearing or two. I was glad I got to listen to a few before I was called up.

The standard 341 questions for my Los Angeles hearing were: (I know they've been posted before)

1. State your name and address.
    2. Are the signatures on the documents yours?
    3. Did you read the documents before you signed them?
    4. Are they accurate?
    5. Did you list everyone you owe money to?
    6. Are there any changes you need to make on your paperwork?
    7. Is the __(name of car(s))____ the only vehicle you own?
    8. Have you ever filed bankruptcy before?
    9. Have you sold or transferred any assets in the last four years?
    10. Do you have any domestic support obligations?
    11. Are the 2007 tax returns your attorney provided me true and accurate as you filed with the government?
    12. Have you read the green pamphlet?
    13. Are there any creditors present who wish to examine?

I guess I'm not officially in the 60-day club! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.
    Last edited by emmacat; 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM.
    Filed chapter 7 3/19/09
    341 Meeting 4/13/09
    60 day club!

Very good: You have given a quintessential run down of normality in 341. Good post. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

You deserve that Godiva. Glad everything went OK for you.
      "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
      http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
      1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Yea I'm so happy for you, your post brought a tear or two to my eyes. I will feel the same as you do. I'll probably get a few more questions tho...And yes I would think your in the 60 day club...why wouldn't you be????

Comment

Emma, thank you for sharing. It gives those of us who haven't been through it yet reason to feel some relief. God bless. Hope it all turns out well.
          Scared to file. Scared not to file.

Comment

Wow! I'm happy for you and I am looking forward to getting to that point. Tomorrow I take the first step (consultation with attorney).
            Retained attorney 4/14/09
            Filed 5/29/09 :yahoo:
            341 meeting 7/8/09 DONE! :yahoo::yes2:
            DISCHARGED!!!!!!! 10/16/09 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Congrats!!!!

Well deserved frozen yogurt after all that stress.

Can't wait to be post-341!
              Filed Chapter 7 4/22/2009
              341 Meeting Scheduled 5/27/2009
              Discharged 7/30/2009
              Awaiting closing!!!!

Comment

When they asked about the creditors and noone was there did you know that a head of time or is like a wedding where everyone looks around and waits quitely for someone to stand up and object? That is my fear somebody comes crashing thru the doors with a huge stack of papers yelling when they are about to end my 341. Does this happen or do you know ahead of time?

Comment

I loved this story. Thanks fpr sharing.
                  Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

Very good for you, hoping for smooth sailing
                    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

How to spot a lurking creditor at a 341

Hi There Kkole425,
                      Regarding how you can tell if there are any creditors lurking around....

I don't know about other areas, but in L.A. they do the 341's every hour. There was a 1:30 group, which I sat through. Mine was scheduled for 2:30.

So here's how it all went down: all the people scheduled for the 1:30 were waiting in the lobby before the scheduled meeting time. I was there at 1pm. The lawyers appeared out in the lobby calling out names and connecting up with their clients around 1:25pm. If you're in the lobby a little before the meeting time you can tell who's a lawyer (dressed in a suit, calling out names) and who's a debtor (dressed casually, looking poor, panicked and stressed). At or a little before 1:30, all the people scheduled for 1:30 341's went in at the same time (and anyone else who wants to).

Sooooo.....if you see someone dressed in a suit with a briefcase who's NOT calling out names in the lobby or talking to a client in the waiting area outside the conference/court room, I'm guessing they could be a creditor. But they wouldn't just pop out of nowhere, because they have a number of people scheduled on the hour and you/or the creditor won't know if you're #1, #2, etc.. in line until you're in the conference/court room. The order was posted on the wall by the green pamphlets.

TRUST ME, I was looking around for reps from Citibank, Macy's and Best Buy. Especially since Best Buy, via Bass & Ass, just sent me a letter wanting their "secured property" back (i.e. used printer cartridges). There was one nicely dressed woman without clients who I was suspicious of, but I found out she was a translator.

NO creditors appeared in the 2 hours of 341's I listened to. I think it's very rare.

Highly recommended: Godiva chocolate for pre-341, fro-yo with extra toppings for post 341, and a valium for during the 341, if you need it. Oh, and a glass of wine that evening.

I'm still reeling in the freedom I feel!!!!!

LA Jazz, who so many 341's??
                      Filed chapter 7 3/19/09
                      341 Meeting 4/13/09
                      60 day club!

Comment

Thanks so much for the post. I'll get so nervous that the trustee will probably be motivated to ask more questions.
                        11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

I don't know if I should have chocolate before my 341. It may upset my stomach. Wouldn't want to vomit on the trustee!
                          Retained attorney 4/14/09
                          Filed 5/29/09 :yahoo:
                          341 meeting 7/8/09 DONE! :yahoo::yes2:
                          DISCHARGED!!!!!!! 10/16/09 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Thanks for the info on your 341 this was a great post. You brought some comfort in the meeting for a lot of people. I think I will go for the drugs. I think I am way past chocolate for help with this problem. Ha Ha! Good Luck to you, I am looking forward to my turn to post this same outcome.

Comment

Congratulations Emmacat! Welcome to the 60 day club!
                              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X