? about Costco membership and AMEX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about Costco membership and AMEX

So I'm getting ready to file for Chapter 7 and I keep thinking of new things to obsess about. So I have a Costco Amex that I am including in my BK. My Costco card is actually the AMEX card. My membership fee is automatically charged to the AMEX card. Will I be able to keep my membership? What will I use as my membership card? Anyone include Costco AMEX and kept their membership?

Originally posted by foolishpast View Post
    So I'm getting ready to file for Chapter 7 and I keep thinking of new things to obsess about. So I have a Costco Amex that I am including in my BK. My Costco card is actually the AMEX card. My membership fee is automatically charged to the AMEX card. Will I be able to keep my membership? What will I use as my membership card? Anyone include Costco AMEX and kept their membership?
    You might have to apply for a new membership if your current membership is part of the AMEX card. I have a membership to Costco, but I do not have the credit card.

Applying for a new membership shouldn't be hard. It's been like 5 years since I became a member, but I think all they asked me was my name, address and phone number, plus, they took my picture to put on the back of the card, which you can't see anymore because the card is so old. Other then that, I think I pay $40.00 a year for there basic membership.
    Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
    341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
    Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
    Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Yea I have a Costco and Amex and BKing on it, but my Costco Executive is separate. I would go to Costco and ask them if you can transfer the membership over to just their membership card..Just tell them your not going to use the credit card and don't want to pay again.. Won't hurt to ask you know?
      I think the Membership is now $50. tho...at least mine is. I have so many people on my cards that we split it and its only 20. each...lol

Comment

Since I work for Costco, I can tell you that your membership account and your AMEX account are two, entirely seperate things. In fact, your card has a credit card number on the front and your membership number on the back. These are entirely different numbers.

You actually could continue to use the card as a membership card, because when the cashier scans the barcode, they are only scanning the membership number. You just could not charge on the card.

But if I were you, I would go to the membership desk and ask them to give you a regular, membership only card. You will keep the same membership number and it will only take a few minutes to make a new card.

Comment

BTW, tell them at membership that you do not want to continue auto-bill on the AMEX. Trust me, if they try to charge the AMEX card and it is declined, they will charge you the membership fee at the register once your card expires.

Comment

I have a Costco executive membership and had a Costco Amex card along with another Amex card.

All the Amex accounts got discharged in my Chapter 7 and it didn't seem to have any sort of effect on my membership.

I was scared there would be an issue but absolutely nothing happened.
            Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

That is such a relief! Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going there today and asking for a regular membership card and to remove the autobill.
              I am so grateful to have found this forum. I've learned so much. This is such a nerve wracking thing to go through but knowing what to expect makes it so much easier.

Comment

Don't rush over there to change the membership unless you've thought it through. All you really need to do is stop them from automatically charging your card. I don't remember if I paid for the membership BEFORE it was due to keep it from happening but I don't remember doing anything special.

CONSIDER THIS:

The Executive Membership rebates 3% of your purchases. If you average only $140 a month you'll earn enough to pay for the difference between the regular and executive memberships.

Our bankruptcy was due in part to medical expenses and we started getting our prescriptions filled at the Costco Pharmacy. The 3% rebate last year was enough to completely pay for the Executive Membership PLUS MORE so I actually have a FREE membership plus they buy me a few hotdogs every year.
                Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "thought it through". I do have the Executive Membership and plan to keep it. I just don't want them knowing about the BK and of course, trying to charge my membership fee to AMEX.
                  Anyway, I just went by there to change it. She said I have to close my AMEX card FIRST. Am I allowed to call and close it? I don't see why not but I don't want it raising any red flags. My next payment is due tomorrow. This will be the first missed payment.

Comment

Originally posted by foolishpast View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean by "thought it through". I do have the Executive Membership and plan to keep it. I just don't want them knowing about the BK and of course, trying to charge my membership fee to AMEX.
                    Anyway, I just went by there to change it. She said I have to close my AMEX card FIRST. Am I allowed to call and close it? I don't see why not but I don't want it raising any red flags. My next payment is due tomorrow. This will be the first missed payment.
                    I misunderstood. I read that you were getting a "regular" membership card so I figured it meant you were switching away from the Executive Membership.

I don't think you should close an account right before filing and I don't think you'll be able to if you have a balance. The bankruptcy forms specifically ask about accounts closed within twelve months prior to filing.

I think the only way you can aviod trouble is to pay the membership fee before they charge your card.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X