a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a question

i am in the middle of filing chapter 7 in KY. I have went to my court hearing of creditors and none showed up. I am waiting on my discharge notification. I was involved in a recent flood and was awarded FEMA assistance and was wondering if any creditors can sieze any money I recieve from FEMA? Thanks.

Just a question here, did you know you had that money coming?
    In most cases you would have had to file for that money.
    And in your paperwork and/or at your 341 meeting they would have ask about any income that you could be expecting.

Comment

At the time of the filing the flood hadnt occured. it occured right before the meeting of creditors and the area hadnt been declared a disaster yet. i applied for FEMA assistance after the meeting. and i just found out that i will be recieving assistance. I havent recieved a check yet or an official letter saying that i will get it but it has it on the FEMA site. It is an odd situation I am in. I lived rent free in a home my sister owns and she gave it to me but we never had it transfered to my name. FEMA considers it my home because I paid the taxes and is going to give money to rebuild. The aid will come in two seperate checks one for personal belongings and one for real property damages. I have no clue what is going to happen. I asked FEMA and they said no that it is considered disaster assistance and cant be touched but I just dont know.

Comment

You just may be OK then as it happened after the filing date.

Comment

thanks for the advice. i called FEMA and asked if they knew if it could be taken by creditors and they said no because it is considered disaster aid. also it is a grant not a loan (denied SBA loan probably because of bk and finiancial state). also state and federal grants are not considered income...does that make sense? i have an appointment with my bk lawyer....when i called thier office they told me yes i have to tell him about it but wont know anything concrete till i see him. thanks again

Comment

it happened after you filed and disaster assistance is not like inheritance which can become part of the bk estate during 6 months after filing.

furthermore, it's probably exempt anyway like social security benefits and disability and the like.

so there are two reasons why they can't take this money from you: it happened after you filed, and it would have been exempt even if it happened before you filed.

JMHO...
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

thats what I was told at my hearing. If I get an inheritance before October then I need to report it to them. This isnt inheritance its disaster relief. I just wasnt sure how it all worked. Thanks for all the advice. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

more info

Well after looking more into the subject I found this.

looking at section g. i think that answered my question. I see my lawyer tommorrow too and will point that out. Looks like its safe. Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X