top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone not missing the credit cards besides me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone not missing the credit cards besides me?

We are less than 1 month away from being discharged (i hope), and this is the first time in our lives that we have not had a credit card (12 years), and i CANNOT imagine EVER getting another one.

I love only spending what i have, and i could not care less about my credit score being sky high. I know that is differant for those of you that want to buy a house one day (raising your score is important for that, i think)

.....it is a great feeling, to not get 21-23 differant bills in the mail each month just from creditors...that all seem to be screwing with people's limits and such. Just having a happy moment.

Well mamaof2 I've been discharged for a while and still no desire to have a CC We did buy a car that we NEEDED but other then that no credit for me. I pay cash for everything and save up for things we want.
    Sometimes when i look at things I'd like to have and would have just put on a cc before and jsut wonder how badly do I need that. I have been living jsut fine without it.
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I lived completely credit free for 12 years after my first BK. I was glad I was able to do it, it really wasn't hard at all, even when emergencies came up. But at the same time, I was lacking a way to build my credit score for all that time.

Still pissed that I had to file again... after clearing up all CB errors, and just a year after having the first BK drop OFF!!! But I guess that's what happens when you marry a foolish man who doesn't realize how hard you worked to rebuild your own credit by yourself after MANY setbacks to be able to cosign for him for a car (that he didn't need in the first damn place) so he doesn't have a 30% interest rate.... and, and, put him on your credit cards that you are extremely careful with so he can rebuild his credit, so you can afford that damn house with a (prime rate) in the middle of nowhere so he can get to work more easily. Because after all, you are "one"... a team... partners right?

But I'm not bitter.
      Consultation (last of many) 3/4/09
      Filing (unnecessarily delayed) 3/18/09
      341 (umm forgot)
      Discharge 7/2/09

Comment

yes

I have to agree. We have done without cc for years now prior to filing BK and plan to do so after. If something is needed we have learned how to do without other things/re-arrange budget or save up the money for the item. Post BK (after attorney is paid for) we plan to put that money in savings and go from there.

Comment

backinstride, so sorry about your experience. we will learn from you never to cosign anything for anybody, even for a spouse. if the spouse cares about us, they wouldn't ask.

i am also cc free; i am using one cc around once a month to keep it alive or to buy stuff online (still shocked they didn't close it!) but i pay it before the statement date. still, between the time i charge and the time i pay i feel like i'm walking on eggshells.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I'm having a hard time adjusting to not having a credit card available. Before, if I wanted something and didn't have the cash I just charged it. When I had a job full time this was not an issue. Then when I was unemployed for 6 months it really started to take its toll.

I'm happy that I no longer have the burdens but after living a certain way for over 10 years... its a little strange at first. Wierd, strange...but good.

I don't even want to own a home again. So much hassle for something made out of wood and bricks. I would of course keep it if they knocked off over 160,000 in negative equity...but that will never happen. ;)
            BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
            Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

I plan to get one after discharge, because it makes my life easier. I only want one with a secured limit less than $500.
              Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
              ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

Note my signature picture. I too have no use for CC's. Too easy to buy stuff I don't need and lose it and buy it again. I appreciate what I purchase now as I see the money, not a "free" plastic card.

I use a Debit card and when the money falls below a level, it stops working. I do not use check anymore. Didn't bounce a check in 45 years, then bounced about 30 in the two years we have been in our bk. When they ran out, I refused to repurchase. A 45 cent MO is cheaper than a $30 NSF.

I have repairs I need to do on our house. I have literally purchased one or two 2 X 4's for lack of cash that week. I work with those till gone, and then fix some other project.

Here is a tip that works for us. We both covey away a one hundred dollar bill deep into our wallets to be "forgotten". In the even of an emergency we have it (break down on road, etc.) or if we were to use the Debit card at a restaurant and it stopped, we could pay without embarrassment. Haven't needed to use it yet. It is insurance for the mind. 'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I do not miss my credit cards.

Since filing and being discharged I have not applied for any new cards. Instead if I need something I look at pricing and then work into the budget saving for it .
                  May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                  July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                  September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by mamaof2 View Post
                    We are less than 1 month away from being discharged (i hope), and this is the first time in our lives that we have not had a credit card (12 years), and i CANNOT imagine EVER getting another one.

I love only spending what i have, and i could not care less about my credit score being sky high. I know that is differant for those of you that want to buy a house one day (raising your score is important for that, i think)

.....it is a great feeling, to not get 21-23 differant bills in the mail each month just from creditors...that all seem to be screwing with people's limits and such. Just having a happy moment.
                    I wasn't aware that 12 year olds could file bk!

P.S. We haven't used a credit card in 6 months and I don't miss them at all.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Not missing credit cards one bit. I see they miss me though. We continue to pile up credit card offers and aren't even closed yet. I don't think the banks like to see you make a clean break. I might feel differently if I were young but we have our home and one vehicle already. So regardless of what my FICO score turns out to be post bk it's pretty useless as we have all major purchases for many years. Our savings account grows since we don't have cc bills anymore. Those major repairs and purchases that once went on our cards will now come from savings. I may not have to work until I am 90 now thanks to our bk.
                      Ch 7 filed: 3/30
                      341: 5/12
                      Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

Well we initially filed back in January of 07 so we've been without cards that long. We don't miss it and it makes us spend less. When you have to pay cash for the things you really want you see that you really want much less.
                        4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                        5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                        7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                        7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

We have been CC free for almost a year now. I am completely loving the cash only life. My way is slightly complicated, we have 3 checking accounts, but I get it, and budgeting is just easier for me this way.

I think I could happily never have another CC. I'll just hope that my car payment is enough to push our credit scores slightly upward.

Comment

I still say you need one for travel to book hotels and when they put a hold on them in case you dare go into the honor bar. Plus, renting a car can be a pain without them.

Comment

Don't worry you're not alone... I have a lot of checking accounts as well for that purpose... I move money to an "expense" account for groceries etc... I have a "main" account where my direct deposits and bills are paid from and I have a "tuition" account that gets used for my renters (previously anyways) and any tuition money I get/had.
                              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                              Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X