Does this seem legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this seem legit?

I saw this ad on craigslist, and I am considering it because I don't have the money to hire an attorney.

"Most consumers don't need an attorney to file for bankruptcy, so why pay $1000 for a service you don't need?
    AT HOME BANKRUPTCY has 14 years of bankruptcy experience and WE MAKE HOUSE CALLS.
    We prepare your petition in the privacy and comfort of your OWN HOME in about an hour.

"Thank you so much for all of your help... You made this very easy and painless... I appreciate all your hard work and will recommend you to all my friends who need to go bankrupt."
    --Tina W., Beaverton, OR

Call to get started on your financial FREEDOM!!
    503-xxx-xxxx Open 7 days a week!
    OR Email [email protected]
    Evening and Weekend appointments available. "

And here is his follow up email

"Hello, my process works as follows:

1. We chat on the phone where I run through a quick questionnaire. (Mostly to check for any major problems with filing a chapter 7)

2. I have a packet for you to complete. I send it via email or postal mail. It's probably similar to the packet you may have already received from the attorneys.

Included with my packet is a numbered instruction list (sort of a bankruptcy for dummies) that details every task you need to complete and every step along the way in your chapter 7.

3. Once the packet is complete, we set a date and time to meet at your house, in a short hour your documents are completed, signed and I provide an addressed envelope for the docs to go to court.

Give me a call to get started!"

Does anyone have any advice on how I can protect myself here? I really want this to work, but don't want to be burned here.
    Last edited by bagel; 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM.

That is interesting, but there is a Pro Se site on this forum for you to research. Maybe you can get some answers from there? I am not sure if the information you gave out is legit. Best wishes!
    Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
    Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Do not trust these people on craigslist. I was jipped twice by two bankruptcy paralegals.

Comment

Yes, they are called... Great, Great,.. Great ancestors of Kenya/African scammers... because all they want is your name, address, social security number (SSN), and birthday... and your bank/credit card account #???...

Comment

i wouldn't trust them! all it means is that they do not even have an office where they would meet you, which means no matter how they screw you, you would never be able to find them! not legit, imo.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Run...Run..Run!!!!
            6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
            10/06/2009 Discharged
            01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

Sorry if my reply sounded lame earlier but I agree with the other posters that this at home bankruptcy business should not be trusted at all. Go to credible sources such as attorneys or if you want to file pro se, go to the pro se site on this forum, this contains quite a bit of info to help you along.
              Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
              Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

NO - I would not trust this type of ad. There are certified document preparers that can prepare your petition for cheaper and there are other ways of going pro-se but not this.
                Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                341 July 1, 2008
                Discharged September 4, 2008
                Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Sounds like a scam to me. There is no way in hell would I let some random person from CL come into my house. And for 2...I'm sure they will take your money and run.
                  Filed 5/29/09
                  Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

the only way i would say to do it is - if the person is a licensed attorney in your state and you can look them up on your state's bar webstie.

I have known some attorney's (usually right out of law school) that do this type of thing- bring in some extra money "on the side" while they work for someone else.

But if it's some random person- don't bother.
                    Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                    341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                    Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                    Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

In my state filings are all electronic unless the attorney has been formally excused by the court from electronic filings.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X