Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please

My husband and I have about 60K in credit card debt. We were trying to dig ourselves out of, negotiating with collectors etc. Until last Tue when he lost his job. So our only source of income will be unemployment. So we ve decided to file Chapter 7, pro se. Here s my question, I had agreed with a collection firm for Chase to pay a certain amount on the credit card we have with them...I am going to call and cancel the payment obviously because we don't have the money to cover it...but we also bank with chase. Hubby is getting his last paycheck today...should we open an account elsewhere, or go to cash only with the plan of filing next week. I m just worried when I cancel the payment today they will take money out of our accounts...and we need the money for living expenses.

I would absolutely withdraw all of that money and open a new checking account with another bank. Some banks will have a cross-collateralization clause which enables them to withdraw money from your account to payoff your CC. Better to be safe than sorry
    Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
    341 Meeting - 08/13/08
    DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
    CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

I agree with Laurann, switch to new banks you have no ccs or loans with asap. Also this forum has lots of info for filing pro se. Best wishes
      Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
      Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

I triple that suggestion. Open another account, but only for cashing or direct deposit. UC is also direct deposited. (if you wish). It is hard to get a check cashed without a bank account these days.

Read all the stickies, get the Nolo C7 book. I could and would go pro se today knowing what I've learned here. I won't have to ever though as I'm living the "new start" and it is working. We are much happier than when we had a bunch of money, and "things". 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks everyone...that's what I was thinking... now for my next question. My husband just got his unemployment debit card, and it is through Chase...can they take his unemployment?

Comment

I also receive my unemployment payments on a Chase debit card. I included in my Ch7 (3) Chase accts. and they never bothered my unemployment acct.
            Filed Ch7 BK 7/27/09
            341 Hearing 9/10/09 All Went Smoothly
            Last Day For Objections 11/09/09
            Discharged and Closed 11/12/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X