top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if spouse begins earning more $$ between 341 and discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what if spouse begins earning more $$ between 341 and discharge?

We filed for BK7 pro se in October, before the deadline. Our 341 meeting is next week. We sat in on a few hours of 341 meetings last week and it seemed very straightforward. Took around 5 minutes per person and the questions were very basic, i.e., Is everything in your petition still correct? Have you given any money to family in the last year? Etc.

Here's the dilemma--a job has come up that my husband is qualified for, that would increase our income by a couple thousand a month (his income is around $2K or less per month now). If he got the job he wouldn't start for a month or so, which would be after the 341 but before the discharge. Does anyone know how that would affect our case? Obviously having more income would be great, but given the staggering amount of our debt (accrued due to unemployment and medical bills), we would still be really struggling for many years to get it paid off. I was really looking forward to putting all this behind us and starting fresh.

Any advice?

Until your husband actually starts a new job and the money starts coming in he is not employed by them. A "possible new job" or "offer" is not cash in hand yet not considered "new employment".

If he has not started employment with the new firm and its still not really permanent yet at the time of the 341 meeting then there are not changes in your or his employment status that would change the outcome of your bankruptcy.

Yes, a large increase in wages could force you into a Chapter 13 if you have disposable income. But they have to be guaranteed wages, and take place before the 341 meeting, as the trustee will ask you then if there has been any changes in your income.

Remember "word of mouth is not cash in hand".....

My attorney told me I could get a partime job, after the 341.....but not before.....

Hope this helps,

Minny
    Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X