Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 experience and questions

Hello,
    My husband and I had our 341 yesterday in Colorado. The trustee asked the standard questions and stated he wanted:
    1) 2009 tax refund - which we were expecting

2) approx $840 in unearned wages for the month we filed - we didn't really understand this. Also, our lawyer refused to sign this over stating it was under the $1000 exemption and that is a given in our district not to take anything under $1000. The trustee's assistant (the trustee is new, this was his first day) clarified with him and told us/our lawyer that he will go after any amount no matter how small. Does anyone have any experience with this or input?

3) All of our vehicles are paid for. There is a $10,000 exemption ($5000 per individual) for vehicles in CO. We have a 1990 Cadillac valued at $1000 and a 1999 Kia valued at $1000 - the trustee did not dispute these.

However we also have a 2004 Chevy minivan valued at $6,600. The trustee did not dispute the value but did ask if it was in both our names. It is only in my husband's. The trustee said that since it is only in my husband's name that we can either give him the van and he will sell it and give us $5,000 and distribute the rest or pay him $1,600. At this point our lawyer was very angry and they argued the law for a few minutes. Then the trustee looked at me and my husband and said he would look further into it and we are a "test case". So, even though all of our vehicles are valued under the $10,000 exemption since the van is not in both names he wants he considers an overage. Any thoughts/advice on this?

Thanks,
    Bells

I have nothing to add except that your attorney seems like a go getter! Good for you!
    Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
    Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
    Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
    341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

What part of Colorado did you file?

I don't understand the unearned wages either. He wants money that you made after your file date?
      Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
      "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

We are in Colorado Springs. Yes, to my understanding, he wants money we earned after we filed but before the file month ended. That's my best guess.

Comment

We live up in Northern Colorado. Our attorney has never mentioned the possibility of losing unearned wages. Guess I might have to send an email to ask that question.

What about balances you might have had in checking\savings accounts on the day you filed and the day of the 341 meeting. We were told the money on the day you filed would be 75% exempt. Any money in those accounts on the day of the 341 were 100% exempt.

Thanks for sharing your 341 experience!
          Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
          "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

We were advised to spend most of the money in our checking account on necessities before filing, savings wasn't really an issue for us. Money in the account on the day of the 341 wasn't brought up at all.

Comment

Wow Bells. I feel for you. My 341 was yesterday and nothing like yours. Of course mine is a Chapter 13 so I will be paying for the next 5 yrs but it is what it is.
              I am just wondering about the whole "test case" thing. Hopefully, you have a great attorney who is willing to go the extra to prove he is right .
              Keep us posted please
              Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
              Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
              Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X