2009 tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 tax return

I had my lawyer exempt like $3,500 of my 2009 tax return (it will definitely be less than that). I filed in late November and had my 341 just before Christmas, and the Trustee did not say anything about the tax return. If I file for my tax return as soon as I get all my w-2s, will I get it or will the IRS hold on to it until my ch 7 is discharged?

if you don't owe the irs any money, they will have to give it to you. if the trustee wants it (which they don't), they ask for it from you, not the irs.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
      if you don't owe the irs any money, they will have to give it to you. if the trustee wants it (which they don't), they ask for it from you, not the irs.
      Well, I kinda do... The biggest part of the unsecured debt that is going to be discharged is owed to the irs (from almost 10 years ago). So, if I wasn't in a bk, then of course they would keep it all. But since it's being discharged, I dunno if they would give it to me after I file my tax return or wait until after my discharge before they send it to me. I don't think they can keep it because I am using exemptions for it.

Comment

in that case, i'd file my tax return as late as possible so as to give the IRS time to update their system with your discharge. i would also call the irs before filing it to make sure they have their act together. your attorney who exempted it may also have a suggestion about this, so ask him.

it looks like your 60 days will be up at the end of february. even if you get discharged promptly, i still wouldn't even think of filing the tax return before april 15. if it were me, i'd ask for an extension and file in june. but ask your lawyer.
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Hello there

Sorry to bring up an older thread and not trying to Hijack it. The reason i ask is because i want to exempt my taxes (roughly 1k-2k) and don't owe the IRS. would that mean i am able to receive my return ? thanks again
          if you are in the san diego Area and need a great lawyer PM me !!! my lawyer did miracle's for me and has made my life better

Comment

Originally posted by CCA1984 View Post
            Hello there

Sorry to bring up an older thread and not trying to Hijack it. The reason i ask is because i want to exempt my taxes (roughly 1k-2k) and don't owe the IRS. would that mean i am able to receive my return ? thanks again
            If you exempt them and owe nothing to the IRS then yes your refund will be yours to keep.
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Here is a very similar situation... I owed the IRS just under $1000. I filed Ch7 in December 2008. Discharged in March 2009. The trustee said nothing about my return at my 341 in January. I filed my taxes in February electronically. I was totally surprised when my entire refund showed up in my bank account about four weeks later!

Yes, I still owe the IRS the $1000. They will be taking it out this year's return plus about $69 in interest, fees and whatever. *NOTE* I didn't exempt anything having to do with my return, the trustee just never asked about it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X