About to file BK. I have car loan and cc through Navy Federal Credit union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to file BK. I have car loan and cc through Navy Federal Credit union

I want to know if NFCU will let me reaffirm the debt for the car with out doing it for the cc. Doe anyone know if they can help>>

I'm by no means an expert on anything but I did have a 2nd mortgage with NFCU and a car loan. My fear was that they would try to cross-collateralize (sp?) onto the car loan since I wanted to keep it and since it was worth more than I owed them. Before things got too sticky, I refinanced (the car loan) with someone else as to eliminate the chance of that happening.

I don't know how they'd react with you discharging one debt and wanting to keep one.

Comment

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I have my mortgage, car and CC through one CU and I will be hoping to keep the house and car.

Should I be worried about the car?

Comment

Yes, I would be worried about the car too. I read many post here and from what I understand, Credit Unions want a reaffirmation on the loans. If you have a checking and/or savings account with them, MOVE ALL YOUR MONEY NOW! CUs are notorious for their "cross-collateralization"...which means they take $$$ out of you account to pay your loan(s).
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Just reread you post, why do you want to reaffirm the car loan? Do you have equity in the vehicle?
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

From personal experience you cannot do that.

Navy will not work around the CC clause at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Klesko View Post
              From personal experience you cannot do that.

Navy will not work around the CC clause at all.
              So NFCU would want all the debt reaffirmed? I too have a Visa with NFCU; it is the most negative of my three CUs as they went variable and raised my interest but it is one of my oldest cards which was why I kept it.

If I file, I planned on reaffirming with my three CUs; overall, they are good to me, have me at great rates and I can afford them. IT is the big banks that drove me to the edge and made themselves unaffordable.
              First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

File BK7: Jan 4, 2010
                Reschedule 341: Mar 16 2010
                Discharged: Apr 22 2010
                Closed: May 6, 2010

Comment

I must have missed something along the way but I didn't realize your could reaffirm a cc or other unsecured debt.
                  Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

I am fairly certain you can, but there are no guarantees that the bank or CU will keep your card open.
                    First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X