Curious question on firearms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious question on firearms?

On my first meeting my attorney asked me about firearms I own. I responded with the truth; 2 revolvers and 1 shotgun. I reviewed my Ch 7 file documents yesterday and noticed that 3 firearms are listed as personal property. Does the trustees ask me to turn in my firearms before discharge or as part of the discharge? The firearms are registered in California, the same as my residence.
    I keep the revolvers for home protection for me and my girlfriend and the shotgun is for hunting although I have never used it because I don't have any money to go hunting. I have no criminal record. the 3 firearms together are worth about $300, and my total exempt property is about $56,000. I was just curious if the trustees take away firearms from BK filers? Are they afraid I would misuse the firearms? I am 62 Y.O. and on social security now and have a small
    pension.

Originally posted by Gracious View Post
    On my first meeting my attorney asked me about firearms I own. I responded with the truth; 2 revolvers and 1 shotgun. I reviewed my Ch 7 file documents yesterday and noticed that 3 firearms are listed as personal property. Does the trustees ask me to turn in my firearms before discharge or as part of the discharge? The firearms are registered in California, the same as my residence.
    I keep the revolvers for home protection for me and my girlfriend and the shotgun is for hunting although I have never used it because I don't have any money to go hunting. I have no criminal record. the 3 firearms together are worth about $300, and my total exempt property is about $56,000. I was just curious if the trustees take away firearms from BK filers? Are they afraid I would misuse the firearms? I am 62 Y.O. and on social security now and have a small
    pension.
    I am 99.9% sure they will NOT take your firearms since they're exempt.

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned. I filed owning 2 pistols, a rifle and a shotgun, all with little value (maybe $400 combined). The trustee didn't even make a mention of the firearms.

I would think if you had an expensive firearm collection then it would be a different story. Being the value is only $300, you should be fine.
      Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
      Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

you're totally fine. CA has pretty generous exemptions, especially if you don't own a home.

We listed 4 firearms. Kept them all.

Originally posted by Gracious View Post
        pension.
        Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
        341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
        Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
        Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

I don't know about CA but I filed with 2 rifles and 1 revolver, no issues. He asked what I had but did not really seem interested.
          Retained Attorney: 10/09
          Filed Ch7: 10/09 341 meeting: 12/09
          Discharged and closed: 2/10

Comment

We have 5 firearms. (That includes one that belongs to our son) I've interviewed 2 attorney's so far and neither one seemed to think it would any sort of an issue to keep all of them.

Unless you have firearms that are worth a ton of money, you *should* be fine.

Comment

We took our guns to a local gun/pawn shop and got an estimate. I think the trustee thought he had something here until he found out the single action guns are not antiques, but rather new italian guns for SASS a shooting society for western type people. Our guns were not worth much at all to resell them, so you may not have to worry.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X