Confused About Lease/Rent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused About Lease/Rent.

Ok in one instance people are saying that YES by all means I can discharge the remainder of the lease. However, also being said is that the landlord could proceed with an eviction if I do not pay because it is debt that I have incurred after the bankruptcy filing. So does that mean the remainder of the lease I have incurred after fliling or is future rent considered a "service" that I have to pay on or be faced with possible eviction.

If your lease is discharged in BK then it is null. Your landlord would have to either agree (perhaps de facto) to go month to month, sign a new lease, or evict.

In other words, once the BK is discharged you are starting with a clean slate again. So yes, if you don't pay you can be evicted.
    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

if I am signing a new lease in another state and DO NOT include it in the bankruptcy, that lease will then not be affected, right....???? Of course, I wouldn't want that new lease in there, since I am in the process of relocating; it will be the beginning of the "fresh start."

Comment

James, in your question in another post you asked about what would happen should you stop paying your current rent post filing.

This would be a new debt (post filing) and you would be liable for it.

Since you are pre-341 meeting give your attorney a call and ask if you can include your lease in your petition.

Your current lease has nothing to do with your future lease once you move.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X